• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Single ended transformer as pushpull?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I also figured it out how to wire it.
Poorer LF response? In what magnetude do you think?

I forgot to mention I already have these transformers and would like to know what the consequences would be by using it in PP so that I could achieve some higher power.
The alternative is selling these and buy some real PP-transformers.

I feel tempted to say send them to me and I will send you 2 x Danbury PP UL 6K6 for EL34. Better not as I have a use for them.

SE is very nice and perhaps you have already tried it? I have always suspected SE would do nicely for PP if the centre winding is available.

Funny thing is I was tempted to brake the Danbury and turn it into SE by rearranging the E and I lamination's. Someone said thin paper to set the gap. Mr Brooks of Danbury I think?

Sometimes they fall apart, never when you want them to. SE to PP might just be lucky. The other way, no way. Clean everything if you do and try not to bend things. Don't use varnish to seal. Mostly the sounds of output transformer isn't helped much by it. For mains TF different. My Sowter TF buzz like crazy on 1 kHz tests. OK on music. Get it as hard clamped as you can. That might be a struggle. Wax is worth trying. It might melt. I have potted some and it worked OK (PE).

It's a messy job on Ludahls, but with the right tools you can adjust the gap. Use a mini grinder to grind the weld points, replace the spacer with a 25 micron or 1 mil plastic film and reweld the fastener. It's DIY after all.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.