• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE Output Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I'm certainly no 300B snob - especially given that three weeks ago I didn't know any such beast exists. All I knew was EL34s and 6L6s and that was from my guitar days.

I selected the 300Bs because so many sites seem to support them and there is so much being done with them - so I thought for a new boy I would find more support.

Perhaps I'll post another thread on what valves - god help me.

I take the opportunity to ask you, tube masters, about the trannies.
Lately I've found that I can build my own transformers, as I have the magnetic sheet, the enameled wire and some books on trannie design (standard ones). Could someone point out some tips about features required for this kind of output transformers? any web?
Thanks.

While I would not recommend winding your own transformers, considering safety regulations and all that, I do believe Google should be able to turn up a few references on the subject.

If not, give me a private message, and I'll see if I can dig up a few book references that I had lying about a little while ago.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

No they don't...They just look like any nude xformer.

The savings of NOT potting them are passed on to you, including the potential of a better sounding OPT.

Nothing against Sowter but....

Cheers, ;)

yep, I've used sowter, the trannies sound great, but I do feel the range of options including the range of cores is a bit limited. I think lundahl use C cores, and these are supposed to be superior to EI types.

I have heard support for AE too, they have the best prices I've seen for Amorphous cores, would love to try them in a 300b design!

Thanks
Raja

DVDHack said:
I selected the 300Bs because so many sites seem to support them and there is so much being done with them - so I thought for a new boy I would find more support.

There's lots of people building 300B amps, but I don't see why that would mean you'd get more "support" building a 300B SE, or a R. Power 2A3 PP or a Dyna ST35 variant or ........

Actually building a published design isn't that hard and any questions on faults or difficulties in construction would probably be answered by the same bunch of people here irrespective of the design as most are common things such as hum or grounding.

Besides, suppose you chose to build a JE or an F&B 300B SE, everyone buiilds theirs differently so unless you copy someone else's implementation, you're on your own to an extent anyway.

I'd suggest as a beginner tube project, you don't build a 300B. Quality tubes are too expensive.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Should the Chokes be from the same manufacturer?

Plate chokes or PS chokes?

Either way they do not have to be from the same manufacturer at all.

Why should they, after all....

So can anyone with a bit of experience across multiple transformer sets rank them in terms of perceived quality?

If ever you meet someone having experience with all currently manufactured OPTs, let us know....

Cheers, ;)

Raka said:
Lately I've found that I can build my own transformers, as I have the magnetic sheet, the enameled wire and some books on trannie design (standard ones). Could someone point out some tips about features required for this kind of output transformers? any web?
Thanks.
I have a bit of imformation here: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/

It's from an old German book and a German magazine. I have never wound any myself, but I guess the formulas should work. At least the power transformer formulas from the same book work nicely...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Amorphous C-Core Transformers

On the subject of amorphous c-cores, I would highly recommend Tribute. I use them in my 300B amp. Pieter Truinet, the master winder, is very accessible through e-mail, and will custom-wind to your specific needs. The quality of workmanship is exceptional and all chokes and transformers are potted. A big plus.

Lundahl makes beautifully constructed c-core transformers and chokes, but they're unpotted.

Jack Eliano at Electraprint is another master winder, and amp designer, who is also very accessible through e-mail and the phone. He will also custom-wind to your specs.

Because of affordability, performance, quality of construction, and availability I would recommend all three.

I should also mention Bartolucci. I use a pair of their power supply chokes in my amp. Again, build quality is exceptional.

The great thing about Jack and Pieter is that you can actually talk to the designers themselves and bounce off ideas of your amp design and they will give you positive feedback and suggestions.

One point about Lundahl ...

Lundahl OPTs are configurable for different output impedances, and in a well engineered way I believe.

However you configure them, all the windings are always used, to prevent there being open ended bits of windings left hanging that, I believe, may degrade performance.

I don't think there are any duffers among the many mentioned in this thread. I guess that Lundahl are among the very best and will take a hell of a lot of beating; but if anything is going to do so, I'd speculate that the amorphous core Dutch ones are one of the very few that just might ....

However, all those mentioned here are so good that the differences will easily be swamped by differences in driver stage and power supply!
All IMHO of course.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.