• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido Cathode Follower preamplifier with remote

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As an owner of Hypex NCore amplifiers I wanted a tube buffer in front of them to "soften" the sound and serve as an input switcher with volume control. Problem is that all tube amplifiers have gain - excessive gain that is. Most of them have no remote controlled volume and input switching, no trigger control, and no output muting on start-up to protect SS power amps from wild DC thumps on warm-up.

Having built dozens of Aikdo preamps and some ACF and other passives I decided to try and build a modern ACF version that would fit right into modern rack. It means NO GAIN, everything controlled via remote, output muting, trigger output.

Here are couple of pics of work in project: ACF board, input switching board, power relay with power delay sandwiched on top, 128-step relay attenuator board. Lots of work, lots of machining, drilling, tapping, painting, and soldering.

If I like the result I will build the second one exactly like the first one - all parts are already here.

Attachments

• IMG_20140613_155956 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_20140613_155956 (1024x768).jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_20140613_160033 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_20140613_160033 (1024x768).jpg
    638.2 KB · Views: 409
And...it's finished.
It took me a while to optimize internal ground connections and fish out ground leaks through brass standoffs. The biggest surprise was the problem with the 12V trigger - the 1/8" plug is secured to the chassis and its negative contact makes direct contact with it. As usual I ran ground wire from the 12V trigger plug to the star ground inside chassis unwittingly creating a small ground loop. Add long external trigger wire and we have some additional HUMM. Solution - cut the ground wire leaving only positive connection and negative derived from contact with chassis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.