• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Toroid Power Transformer For GM-70 845 211 1000V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What is your target output voltage? A 950V toroid is going to give you at least 1300V in a CLC, there would be a problem with choke input admittedly..

I use ~700V custom wound transformers from Edcor in my GM70 amps and get a little over 1kV @ 125mA out from a CLCLC filter with a SIC bridge.

The GM70 is rated for a maximum of 1500V, and I have to admit that I am very careful around the 1kV in my amps. (Testing done with covers in place, and diagnostics done with the HV secondary disconnected.) Corona when it is present is quite audible, problem is now minimal, but some new tubes make some very odd noises on first power up and until the bases bake out. Running over 2.5yrs now with no failures.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Are you talking about connecting the 12V winding directly to the mains? If you are the number of turns are far too low and massive amounts of current will flow in that secondary winding, also core will saturate and I suspect you will have a great deal of smoke for your trouble.

Not a good idea, have you ever designed or built an amplifier running at anything like these voltages? Mine was my first and I waited 30yrs before building one running at these elevated voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.