• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is the 6E6P suitable for audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From the large stashes of tubes I've been buying during the last years this is one of the few I actually played with :)
My version were the 6E6P-DR. IIRC when triode connected the pinout is the same as the E180F, D3a, E280F, etc. I compared it to the 6P15P-EV (also triode wired) and at the time I remember I liked the 6E6P-DR better, but only judged it subjectively (it was a little SPUD amp, with a 15k:150R OPT feeding Sennheiser HD590s). I think Romy the Cat wrote that eletrically it is the same as the 6E5P, just (very) different pinouts.
Looking at e-bay the prices went up apparently, buy maybe that is because there is the 'golden wire' in them ;)

6e6p (which is basically 6e5p with more populated pinout) is a great tube with a neutral character, but as alwys, this depends on its implementation. The site where you've probably read it contains plenty of good information about the subject, but maybe you shouldn't fear the impulse version (I-suffix) and judge for yourself, it costs almost nothing. The E-suffix is a ruggedized version regular 6e6p.

i use it as a pre/driver for 6s19p SE, but can be used as a small power tube. you can find more inspiration by searching 6e5p. I originally used this one and it sounded the same, but later i rewired the amp for 6e6p, mostly for easier experiments with pentodes like e180f etc.

6E5P triode wired sounds excellent as the input/driver tube in my Midlife Crisis 833C amp. Clean, clear, and crisp but not at all harsh. If the 6E6P sounds the same it's a winner! I like the 6E5P so much I bought 50 of them.

Note: I triode strap it using a UF4007 diode and 200R resistor. I added the diode after reading about it on the net...no one has given an airtight reason why it works but it did sound better to my ears with the diode, so it stays.

paralleling voltage sources is not ideal, but you can probably solve the issue by putting a small resistor in series with each led. Maybe it is also better to use 3 leds instead of only 2: with 3 you can have a small imbalance between leds and they will still stay under 20mA each.
Look at SY's Red light district. He uses 7 strings for total of 80mA, and a 4R7 in series with each string to balance currents.
The Red Light District, p3

I use the 6e5p with two led blue in parallel per tube and the bias is fix at 3,2v and 27mA with any problem driving the big 211.
In another amp I use red led to biasing the 6sl7 at 1,7v two triodes parallel driving the SE el34

My opinion is that the led give more gain, dinamic and clean sound that resistor.

I use the 6e5p with two led blue in parallel per tube and the bias is fix at 3,2v and 27mA with any problem driving the big 211.
In another amp I use red led to biasing the 6sl7 at 1,7v two triodes parallel driving the SE el34

My opinion is that the led give more gain, dinamic and clean sound that resistor.

Similarly, I use four Cree SiC Schottky Diodes in series in the cathode to give 3.6V bias for the triode-strapped 6E5P drivers in my 833C amp. 190V on plate, 26mA, strapped with a UF4007 diode and 200R resistor.

Similarly, I use four Cree SiC Schottky Diodes in series in the cathode to give 3.6V bias for the triode-strapped 6E5P drivers in my 833C amp. 190V on plate, 26mA, strapped with a UF4007 diode and 200R resistor.

ha ha, very similar desing point of the 6e5p, congratulation for your big amp.

I use two dn2540 - 10m45s in cascade , I have problems with fake transistor, I bought again in a serious seller ( hope )
This weekend begin to weld again.

If I bias the tube for 40mA and wanna use ledbias,
I tried 40mA in the tube but decided to go down to 20mA as my CCS with DN2450 and 10M45 got the heatsinkt to hot...,Now it`s "just" to connect the EL36 and th output trafos...
By the way any one compared the sound of the 6E6P (6E5P) and the 6S45P?

By the way any one compared the sound of the 6E6P (6E5P) and the 6S45P?
Today I did compare 6E6P and 6C45P with EL36 as the output tube in SE.
And the 6C45P is more upfront brings out more of the music,6E6P is more laidback.At the moment I think I like the 6C45P better.....:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.