• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Broken bias resistors (Yaqin MC-10L)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there! I'm new here and I've had this Yaqin MC-10L for almost a year now. (the one with bias adjustment holes in the cover)

The other day there were some cracking in the speakers and I saw some white flashing from the tube positioned at V1. So I pulled out my voltmeter and found that the voltage between the bias measurment holes were somewhere in between 50V and 60V(!). I powered down and removed the tubes and cover. I measured the resistor next to each valve and concluded that the resistor at V1 and V4 were dead.

Any ideas to why or how this happened?

I'm thinking of ordering some new resistors, would it be wise to go for some that are 3W or 5W instead of 2W?

Regards

Yes they are indeed on different channels. But I didn't notice the V4 until after the V1, so it might not have happened at the same time.

I'll try replacing the resistors with 2W's then, and pop in some Tung-Sol el34b valves that I bought last fall.

Thank you for your input!

thanks

thanks for the info. i replaced the broken one yesterday with what i could find local and system is working fine. ordering 4 quality units today. going down to 2w is a great suggestion. the other suggestion i got from stereo repair man was to stop using low end chinese tubes. step up to their good stuff or go russian.

happy 4th of july,

peace..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.