• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Headphone Impedance and headphone amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to get a set of headphones and find that they vary considerably in input impedance.

For instance, Sennheiser Momentum are specified at 18 Ohms, HD-598 specifies 50 Ohm, and HD-600 specifies 300 ohm.

I plan on building a tube based headphone amp, probably with 6Z9P tubes in Mu Stage per the attached schematic.

Aside from the fact that my output transformer will have to match to the headphone impedance, what other considerations are there with regards to impedance.

Does it make any difference if they are 18 ohm or 300 ohm? If so, what?

Attachments

• 6J9P_Headphone Amp.gif
    6J9P_Headphone Amp.gif
    63.2 KB · Views: 594
Does it make any difference if they are 18 ohm or 300 ohm? If so, what?

As long as the impedance reflected through the O/P coupling transformer to the tubed O/P stage is correct, operation should be satisfactory.

If the decision to build a tubed setup is not "cast in concrete", I suggest you take a look at Sheldon Stokes SS design. I have 1 of these "puppies" and it sounds GOOD. It has been used with Grado and Sennheiser "cans", to my satisfaction. Like the man said, it doesn't sound like "sand".

I was toying with the idea of winding an interstage transformer myself for another project. I started doing calculations of the requirements for the headphone amp and figure about 198H primary inductance and 25K input impedance.

Going to a 50 Ohm headphone should run around 22.3 : 1 which is in the range of a lot of OPTs. At 25K to 300R the ration drops to around 9.2 : 1, and that is going to be a lot of secondary turns. I figured around 6000 primary turns so the secondary would be 667 turns. Doing a 4:3 interleave it would be three layers of 120 turns per secondary.

When you look at the requirements for the low impedance outputs, they would probably have to be totally separate windings with larger wire.

I hadn't considered that. Thanks.

I was actually considering building a DHT based headphone amp but didn't have models for the tubes so I started the simulation with the 6Z9P. I was surprised how sell the simulations went.

A DHT / DHP Mu Stage headphone amp would be interesting, but the top current source is best with a high Gm pentode/Tetrode and all of the DHPs have low Gm and are not really suitable.

This edcor might be of interest. It's a parafeed one specified for the Torpedo

With 300r load, you indeed don't need a transformer. I recently made a µ-follower with a ecl85/6F5P (pentode triode strapped) at the bottom and a mosfet on top. Works beautifully into my senn hd650, low distortion and output impedance, even open-loop. I plan on adding the edcor transformer at its output for 32r duty.

edit: I forgot: if asking Edcor, be careful specifying an acceptable dcr for the secondary.

Last edited:
In my 'improved' headphones amp design I use the Sowter 8665 output transformer which has taps that can be configured for headphones from 32 ohms to 600 ohms.

http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/EzTubeMixer/docs/headphonesamp/phonesampcctsht1of2.jpeg

I have a couple of spare PCBs for this design, You are welcome to one for the cost of shipping.

Cheers

Ian

Thank you Ian, I may take you up on that offer your design looks very interesting, I like. and thanks for tip on Sowter transformers. I could use one that at least has an 18ohm tap for use on 16ohm desk top speakers.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting that schematic!

Does page 2 have the PS?

Page 2 just shows the other channel - it's a stereo headphones amp. All the basic documentation including a Bill of Materials is in this directory:

Index of /EzTubeMixer/docs/headphonesamp

The power supply can be quite simple. The tube heaters run from 12.6VAC. For the HT a simple bridge rectifier plus a CRCRC filter will be sufficient. it is a class A circuit so there are no wild fluctuations in HT current as you would get in a class B circuit for example. You also need to elevate the heaters to about 75V above HT 0V to meet the Vhk specs of the ECC99 tubes. The HT supply circuit I use is here:

http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/EzTubeMixer/docs/power/HT350cct.png

This is quite easy to build point to point but I also have a PCB for this.

Cheers

Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.