Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Solid State Rectifier in Dynaco Tube Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2014, 03:42 PM   #11
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
This whole discussion is *****-****. Bob Latino doesn't make or sell Dynaco amplifiers. The ST120 is a transistor amplifier. I own one. I also own a ST-70 Dynaco tube amp. Change the title of the thread or delete yourself, IMHO.
Bob Latino makes and sells Dynaco clones and uses the confusing "VTA ST-120" model name for his version of the beef-up Dynaco ST-70. This is the amp that the OP bought and are having trouble with.
Old 7th January 2014, 04:52 PM   #12
20to20 is offline 20to20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
Bob Latino makes and sells Dynaco clones and uses the confusing "VTA ST-120" model name for his version of the beef-up Dynaco ST-70. This is the amp that the OP bought and are having trouble with.
There is nothing Dynaco cloned in that amp.

There is way too much Dynaco name "coopting" in the cottage industry of DIY Dynaco aftermarket.

Putting a different circuit on a similar designed steel box (he says his box is better engineered) doesn't give anyone the right to brand themselves "Dynaco." There are plenty of newbies who don't know what's, what. They just want a piece of the fun, and will buy into the fog of the hobby and keep the misnomers propogated.

Last edited by 20to20; 7th January 2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 7th January 2014, 07:50 PM   #13
Matt BH is offline Matt BH  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If the OP's amp is indeed a Bob Latino one and it is wired the same as these:

Bob Latino Dynaco Tube amps

Scroll down for the pics.

I would strongly suggest fitting 3 wire mains lead. Also the other two howlers are pretty obvious. The mains switch and fuse!! These should both be in the live conductor preferably fuse first and if possible a double pole switch.

Shocking!!!!!!

Cheers
Matt.
Old 7th January 2014, 10:04 PM   #14
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Frank Van Alstine and Dave Curcio are two guys modding the Dynaco ST70 and have been using the Dynaco trademark, are there legal impediments to this?
Old 7th January 2014, 10:09 PM   #15
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

Not that I can see (though IANAL)- their stuff is for actual Dynaco amps. It's like selling aftermarket mufflers or modified camshafts for Fords.
Old 7th January 2014, 10:12 PM   #16
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks SY, how about Bob Latino selling clones?
Old 7th January 2014, 10:53 PM   #17
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

Dunno, never seen his ads.
Old 15th March 2019, 03:55 AM   #18
engel dela pena is offline engel dela pena  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTecson View Post
a lamp limiter is best to use if you plug in that rectifier, just so you have peace of mind....

another thing i do is to add two 27 ohm to 47 ohm 5 watt resistors in series with the hv windings going to the plate of the rectifiers, you lose B+ this way...
here 100R 5 watts,........kuya
Poor man's solid state replacement rectifier for Dynaco ST-70, Mark II, Mark III or Mark IV
Old 15th March 2019, 10:05 PM   #19
ejp is offline ejp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
Mr. Latino's comment on the same thread, seems to indicate that the capacitors in the ST-120 should be able to handle it, no idea if the bias needs to be adjusted...
I can't see where he mentioned capacitors at all, but as his mod reduces B+ by ~0.5V there is no apparent reason why the PSU capacitors shouldn't handle it, or the bias should need adjustment either.

Again, this mod is not a rectifier replacement by SS, it just the addition of series SS diodes, apparently to protect valve rectifiers that don't meet their PIV specification. My solution would be to use a rectifier that is within spec.
Old 16th March 2019, 03:25 AM   #20
Rady is offline Rady  United States
diyAudio Member

First: using SS rectifier will increase power dissipate over output tubes; means shorter life of output tubes.
Second: installing resistors in series with SS rectifiers will sag voltage exactly as tube rectifier does. So, installing SS rectifier is not good. You can use different power transformer or use tube rectifier. Or use a variac to reduce ac input voltage.

Solid State Rectifier in Dynaco Tube AmpHide this!Advertise here!