• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High Power Single Ended Triode, Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are the main design considerations if one were to try to design a Single Ended Triode tube amp delivering at least fifty watts per mono block.

** what kind of output valves (& how many)?
** must the output valves be in series? or is there another way?
** toroidal transformers or EI ?
** how much voltage from power supply transformer?
** what would be the overall valve setup?

** why is it that SET amps which deliver 50watt per channel or higher are so rare and illusive?

Kind thanks,
Eddie

I have on tap a single ended 813 design, courtesy of a "Willis" a source for a 813 single ended, running at 45 WPC.
Single ended towards that power level requires transmitter type tubes. The 813 power Pentode can be configured for that level.

__________________________________________Rick...........................

Attachments

• 813 Resize three.JPG
    813 Resize three.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
What are the main design considerations if one were to try to design a Single Ended Triode tube amp delivering at least fifty watts per mono block.

** what kind of output valves (& how many)?
** must the output valves be in series? or is there another way?
** toroidal transformers or EI ?
** how much voltage from power supply transformer?
** what would be the overall valve setup?

** why is it that SET amps which deliver 50watt per channel or higher are so rare and illusive?

Kind thanks,
Eddie

Better off building more sensitive speakers if going the SE route IMO

316a

as others have already answered, "high powered" triode amplifiers are rare because they are by their very definition dangerous. They require transmitting tubes running at very high - read LETHAL - voltages. Now working with even 400 to 500Vs is not my idea of fun, but I haven't been electrocuted *knock on wood* for years and years. But even with all my amplifier building experience, I still have never tackled anything in the 800V+ range. I'll easily admit I fear that kind of voltage coursing through me.

If anyone wants to take the trouble of building a higher power SE amp, I would suggest sticking with pentodes. Something like the EL156 or any number of the "bigger" pentodes can easily make 20Ws at sane voltages.

or get a pair of Altec VoTTs or 604s and be happy with a 8W 300B design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.