• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido CF cathode resistor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to work out an Aikido CF circuit from Tubecad's articles on the subject, but I'm having some trouble. Does anyone know how to calculate the cathode resistors?

I'm referring to the Rk's in graphic on this page comparing a traditional cathode follower and the Aikido CF.

It doesn't seem to be as straight forward as checking some data sheets and drawing load lines. Anyone with an ACF care to give me some hints on their setup? I'm thinking about trying ECC88's and will end up with a B+ of 250ish (1/2 B+ to each tube).

I'm trying to work out an Aikido CF circuit from Tubecad's articles on the subject, but I'm having some trouble. Does anyone know how to calculate the cathode resistors?

Sure. First, decide on the voltage drop you want across each tube and the current. Let's say you want 125V across each tube and 10mA. Now, compared to 125V, the voltage drop across the cathode resistors is negligible. So... go to the plate characteristic curves for the tube, draw a line at 10mA (that will be horizontal). Now draw a line at 125V (that will be vertical). They intercept very near the Vg = -3V curve. So, to first order, you want a 3V drop across each cathode resistor. Use Ohm's Law, R = V/I = 3V /10mA = 0.3k or 300R.

Attachments

• Grafic.JPG
    Grafic.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Gost,
Using R= E/I you calculate the cathode resistor. E in this case is the grid bias of -0.5V and I is your 1.5mA of plate current so R = 0.5V/0.0015A or 330 ohms.

I would mention that a grid bias of 0.5V is too low with the 12AX7, you will have excessive grid current.

What do you suggest for R in this case?:(:confused:
Can we take R = 560R or 680...1k?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It is more than just cathode R, you will need to pick a better operating point with a higher plate voltage so that Vg is higher, anything lower than 1V results in grid current, I have gotten acceptable results at 0.8V..

I also think the 6DJ8 would be a better choice for this application.

It is more than just cathode R, you will need to pick a better operating point with a higher plate voltage so that Vg is higher, anything lower than 1V results in grid current, I have gotten acceptable results at 0.8V..

I also think the 6DJ8 would be a better choice for this application.
R=0.8/0.0012=666R!?:confused:
R=680ohms
P.S.
I have two pieces JJ ecc83;)

Attachments

• JJ-12AX7.jpg
    JJ-12AX7.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.