• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Lower AC ripple on one side of coupling cap than the other side?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished wiring up a preamp. Going through some of the standard things I usually do, I started probing around the power supply with my meter. I have 1.1mV AC ripple at the last stage. Not great, but not horrible. It is tube rectified.

Anyway, I probed around the output coupling caps, and in the tube socket side, I get ~1mV AC ripple, but on the other side, I get around 3.5mV AC ripple. Any reason for this? Seems kind of odd to me. It would obviously be audible through the amplifier if it were hooked up.

I ran this test with a 15K resistor strapped across the outputs to load it a bit.

Thanks!

Blair

I think DF96 nailed it. I took it off the passive load, and hooked it up to an old receiver. Grabbed the ground be the RCA, and now I measure .2mV AC ripple on the output. The hum is still audible and increases with the volume, but it could also be amplified by the gain stages in the receiver.

Thanks,

Blair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.