• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vacuum Tube SPICE Models

Hi rankot,
well I have still the same problem than I mentioned in June...looking for a satisfying solution.
I wrote an email to Dmitry (who invented his Model Paint Tool) if he perhaps would enhance his tool with my tube spice approaches, but he even didn't answer...

So, I'm still plotting my graphs with LTspice, overlaid with semitransparent Datasheet curves - works, but is inconvenient.

I'm open for any other solution that works faster!

Hi euro21

I have a just born LV13 LTspice model for you! :D
The problem is: There are no traces for negative Vg available in the web. So the parameter kp, which mimics the important island effect, has to be guessed.:confused:
If you perhaps own this tube: Would it be possible to measure at which Grid voltage the plate current reaches 60mA @ Vp=500V?
That would help a lot to set a suitable value for kp.

all the best, Adrian

Attachments

• LV13_fitquality.png
    LV13_fitquality.png
    807 KB · Views: 277
Hi euro21,

wow, a hole bundle of curves - thats much better than just one measured point! :rolleyes:

The measured sample of your friend seems to have burned quite a long time, because its plate resistance has already increased to 166% of its starting value (assumed that it was first according to the datasheet)

Furthermore, the Mu of the sample is 25% higher than the datasheet, but that is in the normal tolerance range.

So, I have now pos.Vg traces from a datasheet and neg.Vg traces from a measured sample with quite different mu and plate resistance - how to merge this two worlds ?? :confused:

I decided to take the model gained from the data sheet, adjust the plate resistance manually by a adjustment factor in the LTspice graph window (and a similar way for mu adjustments) and then did the island effect fine-tuning. See attached graph.

You will find this LV13 LTspice model on my website:
http://adrianimmler.simplesite.com/440956786

How ever, if you are more interested in a spice model that is fitted to your measured curves, I can send you one in a PM (the pos Vg traces of this sample-based model will not be reliable, due to the lack of measured traces for pos Vg)

all the best, Adrian

Attachments

• LV13_kp-adjustment.jpg
    LV13_kp-adjustment.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 206
Hi all

As the data sheet of the 1sh29b has a bit weak data in its diagram, here some measured curves from a sample of mine. I took the best of several tubes that is closest to the data sheet.
So, tube spice modeling may start on better data...

all the best, Adrian

Attachments

• rod-pentode_1sh29b_measured_traces@Vg2=45V.png
    rod-pentode_1sh29b_measured_traces@Vg2=45V.png
    303 KB · Views: 187
6A6 and 6N7 are electrically equivalent as is soviet 6H7C (6N7S).

I have used this model:

.SUBCKT 6N7S 1 2 3 ; P G C; (Triode) 20-Oct-2001
+ PARAMS: MU=35.29 EX=1.48 KG1=3201.6 KP=590.54
+ KVB=87.5 VCT=0.75 RGI=1000
+ CCG=4.3P CGP=2.4P CCP=5.4P
E1 7 0 VALUE=
+{V(1,3)/KP*LOG(1+EXP(KP*(1/MU+(V(2,3)+VCT)/SQRT(KVB+V(1,3)*V(1,3)))))}
RE1 7 0 1G
G1 1 3 VALUE={(PWR(V(7),EX)+PWRS(V(7),EX))/KG1}
RCP 1 3 1G ; TO AVOID FLOATING NODES IN MU-FOLLOWER
C1 2 3 {CCG} ; CATHODE-GRID;
C2 2 1 {CGP} ; GRID-PLATE;