• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vacuum Tube SPICE Models

Trimmer.asy is the part of the original LTSpice ...lib\sym\control stock.

Interesting. A clean install of the current version of LTspice (4.23e) does not include the Control folder at all. I wonder what else I may be missing?

Can you ZIP up the entire contents of the Control folder for your LTspice installation? That might save some of us from creating symbols that already exist.

Thanks.

Interesting. A clean install of the current version of LTspice (4.23e) does not include the Control folder at all. I wonder what else I may be missing?

Can you ZIP up the entire contents of the Control folder for your LTspice installation? That might save some of us from creating symbols that already exist.

Thanks.

Also, this trimmer.asy file requires a control.lib library file, which may be in the same Control folder that I don't have.

Thanks for your help.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Also, this trimmer.asy file requires a control.lib library file, which may be in the same Control folder that I don't have.

Thanks for your help.

I manually update my LTSpice directories from 2009 (?), so in my practice Ver. III directories (as Control) are "live" under Ver. IV too.

Control.lib is found in sub directory.

Attachments

• control_lib.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Control.zip
    12.2 KB · Views: 100
Joined 2004
Paid Member
how do you add the files to ltspice?

Simple create directory (for example 'Misc' ) under ...\lib\sym directory, and copy here *.sym symbols.

For example potentiometer.asy (which is editable simple text file, with .asy extension):

"
Version 4
SymbolType CELL
LINE Normal 16 88 16 96
LINE Normal 0 80 16 88
LINE Normal 32 64 0 80
LINE Normal 0 48 32 64
LINE Normal 32 32 0 48
LINE Normal 16 0 16 8
LINE Normal 16 8 0 16
LINE Normal -24 61 -24 35
LINE Normal -24 35 0 48
LINE Normal -24 61 0 48
LINE Normal -48 48 -24 48
LINE Normal 0 16 32 32
CIRCLE Normal -3 101 -11 90
WINDOW 0 33 0 Left 0
WINDOW 38 34 78 Left 0
WINDOW 39 33 107 Left 0
SYMATTR SpiceModel potentiometer
SYMATTR SpiceLine WiperPos=0.5
SYMATTR Prefix X
SYMATTR Description A potentiometer
SYMATTR ModelFile potentiometer.lib
PIN 16 0 NONE 0
PINATTR PinName A
PINATTR SpiceOrder 1
PIN -48 48 NONE 8
PINATTR PinName B
PINATTR SpiceOrder 2
PIN 16 96 NONE 0
PINATTR PinName C
PINATTR SpiceOrder 3
"

This symbol file refers to 'potentiometer', which is located in "potentiometer.lib" file.

If you use many own (created) symbols (as I) I recommend create own directories (in my case 'myLib') under ...\lib\sym, which contains symbol files, and the other (for example 'myLib') which contains *.lib files.

Attachments

• LTSpice.jpg
    LTSpice.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 485
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
To Flipmoore:

Please help to keep this thread on topic.

It appears that you are having problems using LTSpice, so this thread isn't really the best place for posting your questions, could you please ask the Moderators (by clicking the little triangle on the lower left corner of your post) to move posts 956-973 to its own thread, someone should be able to help you with the problem. Thanks for your cooperation.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Personally--I think it is EXACTLY the place to show issues adding models to LT. Keeps all LT stuff (AND the Problems/Solutions) together.
I beg to differ, please bear in mind that not everyone uses LTSpice, nor is this thread intended for LTSpice beginner tutorials, espically since there is already a very good one by Mooly on the Software & Tools Forum.:)

Great thread, guys. I just read the whole thing and look forward to trying out the models that I have found.

In the spirit of giving back, here is a zip file with all the models in the thread. They are all in LTspice format (although I may have overlooked something along the way). Each model is in its own file. Just extract it to the directory c:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceIV\lib\sub (or ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/LTC/LTspiceIV/lib/sub for the Linuxheads like me, hehehe) and have fun.

That's nice, thank You. Is it possible to merge them into a library which can be better maintained, i.e. a single file?

I would like to avoid clobbering my sub-Folder too much, and be able to switch between different tube libs...

As i am unexperienced with LTSpice - would it be sufficient to "cat" them into one single file, give that the extension .lib and install that?

There are so many versions of models for common valves that it gets rather difficult to know which are the most accurate and suitable.
Could any of the spice experts on here suggest the most accurate models, which are suitable for multisim, for 12AX7, 12AU7, 12AT7, ECC88/6DJ8 and other such everyday use valves.
The Ayumi models seem very well regarded but don't run on multisim. I recall seeing a thread somewhere in which someone claimed to have converted all the Ayumi models for use with multisim but then declined to publish them in case it was "treading on the toes" of Ayumi himself....