• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Correct wiring types

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's such a simple circuit, you are basically rebuilding the entire thing by moving the tube sockets off the board.

But, to answer your question, I have extended tube sockets by using small brass tubes, that the legs of the socket fit in, and then I solder those tubes to the pads on the PCB (Tubelab's idea). You want to keep them as short as possible. A better idea might be to move the big electrolytic capacitors to the under-side of the PCB. Then you may not have to extend the sockets much, if at all.

For the inputs and outputs, use twisted wires and move them wherever you need. Same w/ the volume. You'll need new panel mount RCA jacks and a panel mount potentiometer for the volume.

So basically, moving the inputs and outputs and volume are not really a big deal.. Just move them.
The tube sockets, though, need to be kept as close to the PCB as possible.

183454d1281395815-extend-tube-sockets-tube-plugs-toobxtend.jpg

"The tube sockets, though, need to be kept as close to the PCB as possible."

I presume that the tube sockets you mentioned above is referring to the 6N3 tubes only?
And please forgive me for my ignorances and lack of know how, why do the tube socket need to be as close to the PCB as possible? Signal lost and degradation?

Thank you for your prompt advise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.