• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

71A Tube Filament: AC or DC ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 45 filaments carry the cathode (music) signal-current, as well as the heating current, so if you share ac-windings across filaments, there will be cross-talk from channel-to-channel, as well as crosstalk of the filament heating current (50/60 Hz and all the mains noise).

A hum pot can balance-out the idle heating currents out of each side of the filament, and into the cathode return circuit, which reduces the 50/60 Hz hum, but does nothing about the hum harmonics (100/120Hz) which the DHT generates. Also the ac-heating current produces huge amounts of intermodulation (50/60 and 100/120 Hz sidebands on every note in the music) - this is not high fidelity!

For a long time, DC heating had a bad reputation, because raw rectified dc causes more problems than it solves - mixing rectifier forward and recovery pulses with the music (shared with a large electrolytic capacitor, which also presents itself in the music signal path).

As Eli mentions, properly-implemented current-control is the way to go. I have DIY kits, if you need a ready-to-go solution ("Coleman Filament Regulator").

Last edited:
Same here, three stage amp with 46 driver and 300B outputs, all push-pull. All AC heated, less than 1 mV hum at the speaker outputs, and very nice sound. Low IMD, not "huge amounts". I don't believe it is true to say "this is not hi-fidelity" on the basis of heating method. I have tried direct current heating with both better and worse results. Properly implemented AC can be hi-fidelity.

Same here, three stage amp with 46 driver and 300B outputs, all push-pull. All AC heated, less than 1 mV hum at the speaker outputs, and very nice sound. Low IMD, not "huge amounts". I don't believe it is true to say "this is not hi-fidelity" on the basis of heating method. I have tried direct current heating with both better and worse results. Properly implemented AC can be hi-fidelity.

The 2.5 V. tubes are OK SE on AC. Higher filament voltage tubes are not OK SE on AC. When PP topology is employed, hum cancellation (in the O/P "iron") is occurring. An AC heated SE 6B4G hums like a bee hive. OTOH, an AC heated PP pair of 6B4Gs can exhibit satisfactory hum levels.

Filter well before regulating. Don't use a huge capacitance at the filter's I/P, as that can be a source of "hash". A CRC filter, with the bulk of the capacitance in the 2nd position should get the job done. Using an inductive wirewound resistor is a good idea. You get a tiny bit of smoothing from the part's inductance.

I suspect that Rod uses a 2 stage setup. A 2 stage setup voltage regulates the filtered DC 1st, then it current regulates the feed to the tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.