• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Optimal Operating Point for E280F Driver for 300B Single End Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
To drive a 300B, you'll need a driver that can provide 200 Vpp of swing, cleanly. Whether the E280F is a good candidate for this, I don't know. But I'm sure if you look at the datasheet, you should be able to figure out whether this tube can provide that much swing.

Driving a 300B is no simple task. I've only found a few tubes that are up for the task - JCC99, 6N6P, 12BH7A, and ECC88. But I haven't looked at every tube known to man and in my circuit, I needed a tube that had high gm and reasonable mu (20~30), which imposed some restrictions on the tube selection as well.

~Tom

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Far better? IMHO it's thing of taste.

In my 300 SE (E280F/D3a, 2V green LED bias, 11mA DN2540 cascode CCS, 220nF CuTF coupler, FET source follower -powerdrive to A2- to 300B, 5K:8 OPT) I tried some tubes.

D3a (Siemens, Valvo, Telefunken) gives more power (up to 10W), dynamic -rock!-, but E280F (Siemens, Telefunken) more refined (only 7W).

Although I listen mostly classical and jazz music.

d3A in triode is nice as well.

~Tom

The problem with D3A is it runs out of cathode bias, it has a lot of gain but since the distortion rises as the grid reaches zero adding a preamp won't help a D3a-300B amp scale. The 6e5p may be better for of the triode wired pentodes.

If you want to stay away from pentodes, I am liking the JCC99, 6N6P, 12BH7A, and ECC88 types. I still think there is something to be said for a good triode vs a pentode wired as triode. One that is hard to find of this same series is the E182CC (a good one has a gain of 24.) All of these have a healthy g-k bias and can benefit from a peamp or source with a high output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.