• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

buyer beware

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you want a phono "pcb" and source your own parts.

Yeah I'll have to look at those closer. I'd hope they come with some sort of instructions. I noticed that it looked like their power supply is sold separately(makes some sense) but not sure what exactly that means for selecting a chassis, selecting transformers, wiring and so on. If you or anyone have good threads to point to, let me know.
THanks for the response.

Stephane,
At the risk of tooting my own horn, look at the attached links to the final parts of two different builds. Look around the site and you'll find all parts for both a line stage and phono stage build.

Regards, Steve

DIY Tube Phono Project Part 5: Circuit Board – Chassis Integration | Wall of Sound | Audio and Music Reviews

Battle of the Cheap Line Stages, Part 4 | Wall of Sound | Audio and Music Reviews

I just looked at some of the documentation on the Chassis Integration links: that's fantastic work. I'm really impressed. If I go that route and have questions I'll start a new thread. I feel like I've maybe taken the current one far enough off course. But man: the photos (with clearly labeled parts and board locales!) along with the with narrative is really outta sight. Thank you!

. After many hours of searching I found a problem on the pcb and advised Roy. His answer "OK, so it looks like you found an error on that board, that's good, that's how things get fixed". No apology or assistance of any kind - he said I could buy another pcb at my expense or have him fix it at my expense - Great service for a kit worth $1000.00 !

That's the Microsoft way of debugging.
Get it 95% of the way there then get it out and let the punters find the rest of the bugs ! Its just lazy debugging....
Bugs are inversely proportional to how much time you spend debugging.

Reactions: 1 user
I purchased a pair of factory built M-125's assembled by Benjamin Woloss.

Both amps hummed badly, ≈53db SNR.

Uncleaned PCBs, multiple wiring and solder faults.

After reworking, better than 90db SNR.

Before_n_After.jpg

The whole sad, sorry tale of support and instructions on how to fix are at teaching the Tubes4HiFi / VTA M-125 to sing

Crap, I have been looking to build a 6sn7 tube preamp and thought the vta sp14 was the ticket, then I emailed and got incomplete (maybe even disinterested) responses from VTA. At $480 without case or switches or rca or miso it is not a cheap kit so I started searching on diyaudio and other forums and the overall feeling for VTA is poor/nonexistent customer service, questionable build/reliability/design choices/un-reved prototype designs, that said they are supposed to sound good to great IF you can get them to work...Thanks for the warning I will spend my money elsewhere

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.