Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

buyer beware
buyer beware
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2018, 01:50 PM   #31
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

buyer beware
I've built all my Aikido style amps using point to point wiring. John usually marks the PCB with the parts values, and if you send him an email, he'll probably respond with some helpful information.
Old 22nd December 2018, 11:29 AM   #32
Burnedfingers is offline Burnedfingers  United States
diyAudio Member

I bought a tubes4hifi stereo 70 driver board a few years back. I had hum problems. It also suffered from a bunch of resistors that were running very hot turned colors and started to burned the board. This problem took months to rear its head. I replaced the resistors with higher wattage ones and sold it. I replaced the driver board with a Mapletree stereo 70 driver board. Will not buy another one or anything else from them.
Old 22nd December 2018, 03:38 PM   #33
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

I never had any issues with Roys Dynaco amp boards.
No hum , butterflys, bats etc.

If 2 people build specific board examples and have no hum and 2 people have, it should be clear its a builder issue..,.

2 big thumbs up for a rare site that sells DIY tube information and boards.

Regards
David
Old 22nd December 2018, 06:51 PM   #34
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

2 big thumbs up for a rare site that sells DIY tube information and boards.

Yes, and overheating multiple resistors in a driver board? Builder issue because the only resistors which could heat up are the dividers for the high power supply voltage reduction. The tubes are drawing a few milliamp at low voltage, maybe 5 watts dissipation for the whole stereo board including inside the 3 tubes in total.
Old 31st December 2018, 07:45 PM   #35
Sadface is offline Sadface  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

My two cents.
I've built both an SP14 preamp from Roy and a pair of M125 monoblocks from Bob.

The SP14 performs flawlessly. The M125s perform flawlessly.

Bob's documentation is fantastic. The M125 kits are well worth the money, probably overkill in terms of power output but that is rarely a bad thing.

Roy's documentation is less good but as stated earlier in this thread, Roy gives a pretty solid disclaimer on this.

In saying that, the documentation Roys gives was sufficient for me to build an SP14 as my first tube amp project, with little experience building electronics before this. The only issue I had was a dry joint, which I quickly found and fixed, this aside; everything worked flawless first time and has had no issues in the 8 years since.

I have no reservations recommending these guys.
Old 31st December 2018, 07:49 PM   #36
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadface View Post
The only issue I had was a dry joint, which I quickly found and fixed, this aside; everything worked flawless first time and has had no issues in the 8 years since.
I had a very dry joint once, I completely missed soldering it.

An even worse fault was missing inserting a grid stopper resistor.
An indication it was missing was a red plating valve.
Old 8th January 2019, 11:09 AM   #37
Skydogcable is offline Skydogcable
diyAudio Member

I agree 100%. Buyer beware when dealing with Roy. He is not a good human. He is rude and will straight up lie about a situation if it makes him look bad. I have built 2 m125’s a sp14 and a ph16. All of the builds went okay but I have some lingering hum. Mine are in a wood case so I’m currently opening them up to add some shielding. That I can deal with. The m125 kits were flawless. The documentation was spot on and if any questions arose Bob was super helpful.

Roy’s kits are a mess. At least currently. Missing part and wrong parts all over the place. On top of that Roy is flat out rude. If your not an engineer he uses that as his out for every situation and instantly starts blaming. I’m not an engineer but I’m a great tech that can follow instructions. I could have tolerated all of this but the straw that broke the camels back was the Auto bias boards that Are a mod kit from Roy for the m125.

He provided 2 different sets of completely wrong directions. The amp was clipped and sounded horrible after the install. When I questioned him about some wiring on the narrative that seemed incorrect he insisted that is was correct and started with the insults. He likes to say that if you have a problem it’s probably just over your head. Finally after 3 weeks of frustration and insults from Roy I went to his dynaco forum. There I realized several people were having the same issue. After working through the issue in the forum it came to light that the instructions were wrong and we came up with the correct method in the forum with no help from Roy. Now to the lying part. Whenever there’s an issue he ALWAYS says that your the only one having the issue so it must be you. However with mine and the issue with the OP it was on his end and many people had the issue. When the forum started to turn on Roy and people started to share stories of his rudeness he deleted and edited other people’s posts then banned me. If you like being insulted and dealing with the fragile ego of a man baby then go for but otherwise BUYER BEWARE!!!!
Old 9th October 2019, 01:04 AM   #38
Stephane Vorstellung is offline Stephane Vorstellung  United States
diyAudio Member

This is quite fascinating. I'm a complete beginner. An all tube phone pre is especially appealing but I'm not finding many kits. tubes4hifi looked like there was potential. Then I read Roy's disclaimer where he "assume[s] a builder knows how to hook up the input signal, output signal, high voltage, and filament voltage." Why would he assume that? I would assume a person who knows how to wire dangerous voltage components wouldn't need a kit!

The tone of the disclaimer is what brought me to the forum. What I've gathered is that these are potentially good products but they are not for beginners and the kit is isn't really a kit at all where one receives all the parts with a step-by-step guide that corresponds with the supplies.

I see why beginners go for the Elekit and Bottlehead stuff.
Old 9th October 2019, 03:03 PM   #39
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

buyer beware
If you want a phono "kit": GlasssWare Phono Preamps
Old 9th October 2019, 04:01 PM   #40
pblix is offline pblix  United States
diyAudio Member

If you want a phono "pcb" and source your own parts.

buyer bewareHide this!Advertise here!