• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Chokes in the ground "plane"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've often seen that in high voltage psu's the chokes can be put in the ground because that is safer. But it works just as well?

Is this the way one should do it?

Attachments

• psu.png
    psu.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
Is this the way one should do it?

Not quite. You have shown all the capacitors with a ground connection. Only the last one (C22 in your example) should have the ground connection, otherwise the ground is acting as a short circuit across the inductors. You also need to show where the centre tap of the transformer secondary goes - it should go to the negative terminal of the first capacitor (C20).

Only the last one (C22 in your example) should have the ground connection
I thought so. Thanks. This is actually as I had drawn it initially.

Should a choke go open circuit you could end up with high volts on the input jack ground and kill someone.
Do you mean even when it is correctly wired as below?

Attachments

• gm70psu.jpg
    gm70psu.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
Hi!

I read about one disadvantage of this approach:
You have some stray capacitances from the transformer secondary to the core and thus to ground. This stray capacitance is in parallel with chokes in the ground return and thus bypasses them.

How relevant this effect is? I don't know. Your chokes have some winding capacitances too. So it probably depends on the transformer.

I'd get proper chokes which can handle the voltage.

Best regards

Thomas

Should a choke go open circuit you could end up with high volts on the input jack ground and kill someone.

Not if the grounding is done correctly. You would actually end up with a high negative voltage on one side of the faulty choke, and on the negative end of those components preceding it (capacitors, other choke, as applicable). The ground would still be ground, and the HT would not be HT.

Does this method affect the amount of capacitance "seen" by the rectifier? Ie: does the first choke in the ground run isolate the caps after it from the rectifier as it would if the choke were in the HT line? If not, I could see this as a major gotcha what with exceeding maximum capacitance for a valve rectifier.

You have some stray capacitances from the transformer secondary to the core and thus to ground. This stray capacitance is in parallel with chokes in the ground return and thus bypasses them.

Some PT's have an electrostatic or protective screen between primary and secondary, and the screen is normally grounded to chassis. The capacitance from secondary HT to screen may conduct mains frequency and diode rectifier related noise depending on the winding section next to the screen.

Similarly, edges of winding layers and the outer layer (usually the secondaries are on the outer layers) have parasitic capacitance to core (and hence to chassis).

Effectively, the filter capacitors are short circuits to mains and higher frequency noise, and such noise currents simplistically loop via the stray parasitic capacitance to chassis to star ground and back to the secondary windings via the CT and diodes. The chokes per se are not going to significantly suppress this form of noise, or affect it.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi!

How relevant this effect is? I don't know. Your chokes have some winding capacitances too. So it probably depends on the transformer.

I'd get proper chokes which can handle the voltage.

Best regards

Thomas

Sounds different too. I tried variations of this with both single winding chokes and Lundahls in their common mode configuration. It was years ago and my preferences may have changed since then but at the time I didn't like what I heard. I remember the common mode connection in particular made the circuit sound smooth but lacking life - a little like the effect of voltage regulated filaments. :)flame:) Not an EE but my thought was that putting resistance in the return to the rectifier might not be a good thing. That's how I left it anyway.

I may be wrong, but the schematic in post 4 does not look correct to me.
WWW.The State Department could use a man like you . . .:D

Does this method affect the amount of capacitance "seen" by the rectifier? Ie: does the first choke in the ground run isolate the caps after it from the rectifier as it would if the choke were in the HT line? If not, I could see this as a major gotcha what with exceeding maximum capacitance for a valve rectifier.

rectifier currents go red lines, not blue
----------
this connection has one big benefit, it´s the Umax winding-iron insulation.
supply chokes are often low resistance (across winding), low U drop animals, therefore risk of breaking winding is low

spike across winding could occur with silicon diodes during startup (empty caps, 0 ohm & no softstart), but then put varistor to be sure
but that will happen no matter where you put chokes

Attachments

• GM70psu.png
    GM70psu.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 231
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.