• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N1P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your input, my line input stage as a 47K on the plate and a 1K on the cathode the other half used as a phase splitter as two 33K resistors one for the
plate and one for the cathode to drive a couple of 6L6 valves, is there any way to improve this concertina phase splitter or do you have to use a better type phase splitter for lower distortion and a better top response, the Radford 25 watt amp used a ECF82 as a phase splitter I believe this was done to improve the high frequency response.

Llan

...my line input stage as a 47K on the plate and a 1K on the cathode the other half used as a phase splitter as two 33K resistors one for the plate and one for the cathode to drive a couple of 6L6 valves, is there any way to improve this concertina phase splitter or do you have to use a better type phase splitter for lower distortion and a better top response...
Llan

I understand that your 6N1P amplifier stage is direct connected to cathodyne.
If this is correct, this is the reason for high distortion.
To make well designed and well performing amplifier/phase splitter you should use a capacitor between the stages and bias both to optimum.
I already gave you a schematic of such cathodyne.
The frequency response of cathodyne stage is beyond 100 kHz, so should not be a problem.

You told in the first post that the supply voltage is 280 V. What is the supply voltage for the 6L6 output tubes ?

Sorry, I made a mistake, I have two amps one both using the concertina phase splitters, the one with the 280 B plus volts uses EL84s as push pull output the other uses two 6L6s in the out put this amp as 365 volts on the plates of the 6L6s and the B plus is 350.

Yes there are both DC coupled, I have seen this being used in other valve amps why is it important to use a coupling cap instead of it being dc coupled how does this lower the distortion.

I take your point about the 6N6P/ECC99 would this be a better valve for this position.

Llan

...Yes there are both DC coupled, I have seen this being used in other valve amps why is it important to use a coupling cap instead of it being dc coupled how does this lower the distortion....
I take your point about the 6N6P/ECC99 would this be a better valve for this position.

Llan

When the voltage amplifier stage is operating at minimum distortion point, its anode voltage is, say 150 V for example.
The optimum bias voltage of a concertina at 280 V +Ub is much smaller, say 80...90 V.
If you direct connect this 150 V to concertina, its output voltage is highly limited. On the other hand, if you bias the voltage amplifier so that its anode voltage is 90 V, the result is distorted output signal at the voltage amplifier.
Therefore individual biasing is necessary in most cases.
Direct connection works well with some pentodes as voltage amplifiers because these operate at low anode voltage.
Also 12AX7 is good with direct connection if small driving voltage is required.

There is basically no difference if 6N1P or 6N6P is used as a concertina, because it has full negative feedback that minimizes the differences between used tubes/types.

Here you go.
If the cathode voltage of the phase splitter is above, say 75 V, you can decrease it by increasing the value of R2. Optimum is some 60...70 V.

Attachments

• 6N1P_6N1P_cathd.gif
    6N1P_6N1P_cathd.gif
    110.7 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
Tyimo is right on. That schematic is from Broskie and I've used a modified version of it before with great success: Just what the world needs - another EL84 amp

You could also try replacing the anode resistor with a CCS and/or the cathode resistor with a red or yellow LED.

The amp I'm working on does something similar. It's a PP EL-84 and uses a 6N1P as the driver and phase splitter, but with an order of magnitude lower distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.