• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for a complete DIY Tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a complete great AMP to build and to link with a Logitech squeezebox duet via RCA.

i was thinking about a tube amplifier (stop me if the asociation: Squeezebox & tubes is not a good idea),
between 100 & 300€ big bang for the buck.
that can be shipped to France
mainly for beginner (i've done so far the Objective2 headphone amp with success, and plan to do the SUBBU DAC V3)
where only the case would have to be purchased afterward (or included).

If this post has maybe already been raised, sorry for the duplicate.

Thank you for your help and advises

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
LOL. Your budget seems to me pretty low. Think Chinese.

Maybe in ebay Germany you can buy something vintage for 200 -300 Euros but it will probably require new caps and that if you're lucky....if you're unlucky it may need a complete overhaul to sound right. I'd just buy a chip amp and forget about tubes.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a complete great AMP to build and to link with a Logitech squeezebox duet via RCA.

i was thinking about a tube amplifier (stop me if the asociation: Squeezebox & tubes is not a good idea),
between 100 & 300€ big bang for the buck.
that can be shipped to France
mainly for beginner (i've done so far the Objective2 headphone amp with success, and plan to do the SUBBU DAC V3)
where only the case would have to be purchased afterward (or included).

If this post has maybe already been raised, sorry for the duplicate.

Thank you for your help and advises

Assuming the Squeezebox has the same 2 V. O/P of a "standard" CDP, 300€ should cover the costs of an "El Cheapo". The budgetary constraints may force triode wired "finals" (as shown) and approx. 6 WPC is what you get. As another poster stated, speaker choice is crucial to good results, when low power tube amps are employed. TANSTAAFL!

Attachments

• EC big.gif
    EC big.gif
    38.8 KB · Views: 290
thanks guys,
regarding speakers it's also part of a DIY project,
I'm mainly looking for bookshelf format speakers to start with, i do not have yet decided, if there's some recommendations too it would be awesome ;-)

Eli D. you right when you say that there's nothing for nothing, the thing is that i'm starting on this DIY world, very motivated but also realistic, i may not build correctly my build and i've also some family constrains and these have a cost that i cannot ignore, but this is everyone's life ;-) keep trying making everything working in harmony (passions, family, work, ...)

Last edited:
You can EASILY power bookshelf speakers with the tube kits from the link above. A pair of Overnight Sensations should pair quite well. I built the 8 watt version about 10 years back and have tried it with many speakers from tiny full range to medium floor standers with better than expected performance.

Jayce996,

The "Overnight Sensations" bookshelf speakers will be OK for casual listening. For serious/critical listening, Paul Joppa's 102 dB. rule comes into play and you will need speakers that are 95 dB. or higher sensitive.

It's very much a juggling act, as how a person apportions limited funds. If the O/P tubes are set up in ultralinear mode, approx. 12 WPC is produced by an "El Cheapo". The "gotcha" is more costly O/P transformers are needed. Being heavy, shipping magnetics from North America to the EU is damned expensive and (IMO) makes little sense. If you can find a winder in the EU willing to construct goods of quality equivalent to the Edcor CXPP25-8-7.6K for the "same" money, UL mode "finals" and the budget are likely compatible.

Magnetics are a major cost item in the construction of tubed power amps. Buying "close" to home and holding the shipping charges down, is (to me) an obvious necessity.

I designed a little 6LU8 PP amp PCB to target around 20-25watts/channel. The most expensive items are the PT and output iron. I found a PT for $40 to try out and I have a set of 40W 6.6K Hammonds that I bought for $60, choke $15. So for about $120 in iron, $30 in tubes and the rest for PCB and caps, resistors etc.. I have an amp for under $200, but not in chassis yet. If I go solid wood I can do it for about $25. I have a set of Bogen MX30A output iron that I'm currently listening too. I bought 3 transformers for $90 so still $60 for a set. The B+ is just under 400V and it can drive 4ohm 89db speakers quite well. In the 230-250 euro mark for nice little amp.

Attachments

• spud on top3.png
    spud on top3.png
    857.3 KB · Views: 261
thanks everyone,
for the speakers i wanted to try the Overnight sensation as the price of the kit was very low and the number of positive reviews quite impressive. i wanted also to try full range speakers like the Fostex ones.
For sure my idea/project is not yet mature, all i know is that i'll plug the amp & the speakers to a squeezebox duet playing FLAC files and i want to build them by myself.
I have a friend working in a "wood factory", so i'll have all the machines needed for the speakers, i just have to find the speakers kits.
regarding the Tube amp, i never had the opportunity to hear this and that was the reason why i wanted to go there, so many people saying that this is so special, i want to give it a try, but in the same time do not want to build something crappy.

So let's try this association: Squeezebox + Tube amp + full range speakers :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.