• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What should I build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I built a 100watt tube guitar amplifier a few years ago and it sounds awesome and is still going strong.

I was looking into doing another project and am looking for suggestions. I want something that sounds great. I am really big into high quality audio. Is it possible to make a 5.1 home stereo in a tube amp? How would it sound in comparison to some of the current solid state stereos. My other idea is a 2 channel tube amp to play music from a computer or mp3 players. What do you guys think i should do, are there any kits? or layouts? What are the approximate costs. Also what is recommended for speakers?

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:
Congrats on your successful guitar amp...I'll assume it was a push-pull.....as Class A would have been kinda hard & $$$ to build.
A Home theatre 5.1 ??? Multi-channel amps tend to not lend itself to tubes much. As tubes are space consuming, Iron consuming.........& what if you go push-pull on all the channels??? My thinking is Class D with all those little compact modules neatly arranged in a case.
This leaves an amp-speakers combo for your PC. A nice little/simple class A 2A3 ......with a unique chassis to fit somewhere in your PC station.....some Fostex Full-Rangers in a pair of back-loaded horn towers........& you'll be set.

__________________________________________________Rick.........

2A3s are costly and so is the "iron" that's used with them. Triode wired 6V6 family tubes sound GOOD and cost less too. Go push/pull and the "iron" is reasonably priced too. A mild Class "A2" operating conditions set, as used in "Musical Machine" and "El Cheapo", yields approx. 6 WPC. That's plenty, when mated to mid 90s sensitive speakers.

BTW, people have done HT setups with tubes, but the cost to build and operate is very high.

My previous post should have said Class "AB" not Class "A2". :xeye:

I've uploaded the "El Cheapo" schematic. The 'AQ5 shown is, for all practical purposes, a 6V6 in a 7 pin mini package.

Attachments

• EC big.gif
    EC big.gif
    38.8 KB · Views: 145
Triode wired 6V6 family tubes sound GOOD and cost less too.

+1 :up:
and the alter-ego 6P6S can be bought for very little money, although JJ or EH 6V6GT are not particularly expensive either.

For a small computer system, a simple SE design with recycled console transformers might also work, if max. SPL and thundering bass are not a requirement.
I finished one recently: Trioded-wired 6P6S driven by 6n8s with CCS at the plate and LED bias.
I am still experimenting with some cathode feedback to get more low end out of the somewhat challenged OT but the overall performance is not too bad.

Martin

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.