• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Thought Exercise: Submini Circlotron OTL Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone!

I was doing some research into tube amps, when I noticed a trend among the fancy Ciclotron amps. Their enjoyment was severely hampered by their heat output (http://www.klausmobile.narod.ru/proj...1_mamont_e.htm)! So I started thinking, but couldn't come up with an answer, as I am still trying to grasp the basics of the Circlotron itself.

Is an OTL Circlotron built using sub-miniature tubes a worthy experiment? I assume it is much more involved than swapping out the monstrous 6AS7s with submini dual triodes and adjusting resistor values, but where to start?

What are you trying to achieve? The heat dissipation in an OTL is determined by the output power and output power is determined by the available output current. Any OTL with subminiature tubes would necessarily give very low output power or you would need a very large number of them in parallel which is impracticle.

An example: If you want to get 25W in 8 ohm you have to deliver 2.5A peak and the average current from the power supply would be 0.8A, this is not possible to achieve with subminiature tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.