• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Budget 300b tubes recommendations

Hi,

I'm building PSE 300b monoblocks and I'd like your opinions on 'budget' 300b tubes. As I need 4 of them, I'm searching in the range of max 400 euro/dollar for 4 tubes (with shipping and import taxes, euro and dollar is about the same for me)

On my shortlist:

Psvane Hi-Fi series at $300
EH 300b at €270
EH 300b Gold at €310
Shuguang 300b at $320
JJ 300b at €400

Any comments on the relatively new Psvane Hi-fi series? Everybody seem to like the more expensive psvane tubes but I can't find anything on the budget series?
In old threads I read the Chinese can sound good but often have quality issues, but also that they are getting alot better in the the last few years.

The Electro Harmonix tubes seem to get good reviews. Is the gold series worth the extra cash?

I tend to like the 'warmer' sounding tubes.

Thanks in advance

My amps have had the EH 300B Gold for the past year or so.

Actually, these are the best modern DHTs I have seen in terms of alignment (eg upright internals, correct mounting of the base etc). With a DHT, the alignment is not just a cosmetic concern - bad quality here can cause real sonic problems, and reliability degradation.

The finish is excellent too.

This version has clearly been given a good deal more attention to quality than previous versions.

Best of all they sound superb - far better than the old Sovtek.

I certainly recommend these!

Hi!

My recommendation for a 'budget 300B' would be a triode strapped 6CB5A. If you are building the amp yourself, you can change to another tube. Many people who heard 6CB5A amps from me preferred them to 300Bs unless original WE 300Bs were used. They can be run at similar op points as 300Bs. They cost less than $10 each. Using the money saved in tubes can be invested in better output transformer, PSU and other parts. This will yield a far superior sounding amp than one were the biggest part of the cost went into the output tubes.

Best regards

Thomas

Thanks for your replies,

The 6CB5A suggestion is appreciated but I don't feel comfortable with changing the schematic as I don't have a lot of experience that area.

The EH Golds seem like a good deal, especially because they seem to be more expensive at most other places that I can find. I kind of like the look of the psvane's though. Of course that is not my main concern, reliability and sound are most important, but all other things equal, it counts too :)
Any opinions on psvane's other than the treasure series?

Cheers

In my John Hogan 26/300B I tried all that have been mentioned so far plus the KRs. By a very long margin the KRs sounded sooo much better. They are expensive and the day that we tested all the tubes (there were 5 of us) we had one guy swapping tubes behind a curtain so we did not know which tubes we were listening too. When the KRs run, to a person, we all were shocked by how much better they sounded.

I can hear differences between various 300B's, but none of them sounds bad. They all sound very, very good when driven with a high Gm tube (417A, 6C45P, D3a, 7788). Even the Shuguangs, which in reviews get characterised as sweet and euphonic, in my amp are hi-fi sounding (very quick and dynamic, extended frequency extremes). The graphite Shuguangs have stronger low-end than the nickel version. They seem to be reliable at 400V 80mA.

I've also liked the JJ 300B and EML 300B XLS. The EML is my favorite as it does all types of music well, but others may think it sounds too much like a solid state amp (when driven with a high Gm, low distortion triode).

Last edited:
I have the EH300b and the gold EH300b. Running in a Tubelab SE. I think the Gold does sound a little better, but not in a definable way and it may just be my personal bias as I am not blinded to which tube is in use. The Gold is WAY more micro-phonic than the others, at least comparing the pairs I have, fortunately it does not seem to have a negative impact on the sound.

Thanks,

I'm sure the KR's, EML's and EAT's are great, but this is a 'best-bang-for-buck' project and a $1000 (or even $2500 for the EAT's :| ) is way beyond budget.
I will probably roll some of these in as a future upgrade but for now it's a no-go.

Good to hear your experience with the EH's, the microphonic thing is something to take into account.
Any info on the 'Platinum Matched' thing with the EH's? Worth the extra cash?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
PSVANE has introduced a new type of 300B, which I think to give a try too. Same flavor also from Shuguang within the range "Voice of Nature".
Matched pair PSVANE Vacuum Tube 300B-T MK II Collection Gray 201 - $396.41USD : Enjoy music, enjoy hifi audio!, we sell Music Angel,qinpu,yaqin,MeiXing MingDa,Bewitch,Bada Amplifiers, CD player,power amp, preamp

Personally I have tried EH gold and Valve Art and I find the first one to be superb in terms of details and transients but not very warm.

Cheers

Hi,

My personal experience when entering the 300B arena, SE amplifier, was not nice!! I did bread-board, and used some of those gold-flashed Chinese sockets. Just first=time insertion of the tubes caused me alarm. Just didn't hold like my Mum used to....(Sventlana(?) tubes - then VV32 tubes...... RING, RING, RING.....Damn near picked up the phone.......

Next day found some excellent sockets listed!! Ones with a ceramic wall/baffle between the pins - USA built......just excellent.

Methinks most/many of the differences detected between brands of 300B may well be due to the sockets - and even the boards upon=which mounted introducing microphonics. For the detectives viewing this reponse I havn't even bothered trying the S.....(cos annot spell) tubes. (ps - the VV32B are run DC filaments)

G

I have the Bottlehead Paramount monoblocks and they came with the EH tubes, used it for several months. I can say that the EH's are good, very pleasing sound. Microphonic was not an issue and hum was easily tuned out. Later I got a good offer on the black glass Shuguang Treasures and bought them. The Treasure betters the EH, more in everything, low and high entension, soundstage width and depth and also in height, more musical, too. But I can recommend the EH, good price and good sound, I think that's the reason why Doc B from Bottlehead supplied his Paramounts with them.

Hi,

I'm building PSE 300b monoblocks and I'd like your opinions on 'budget' 300b tubes. As I need 4 of them, I'm searching in the range of max 400 euro/dollar for 4 tubes (with shipping and import taxes, euro and dollar is about the same for me)

On my shortlist:

Psvane Hi-Fi series at $300
EH 300b at €270
EH 300b Gold at €310
Shuguang 300b at $320
JJ 300b at €400

Any comments on the relatively new Psvane Hi-fi series? Everybody seem to like the more expensive psvane tubes but I can't find anything on the budget series?
In old threads I read the Chinese can sound good but often have quality issues, but also that they are getting alot better in the the last few years.

The Electro Harmonix tubes seem to get good reviews. Is the gold series worth the extra cash?

I tend to like the 'warmer' sounding tubes.

Thanks in advance
On this site there is really cheap priced 300B, so low as 69 Obamas each:
Tubes | Diy HiFi Supply