• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Budget 300b tubes recommendations

we had one guy swapping tubes behind a curtain so we did not know which tubes we were listening too. When the KRs run, to a person, we all were shocked by how much better they sounded.
Was each tube biased to its own optimum range when switched? If not, the difference may just be due to that which can also be done without changing tube if the amp has adjustable features. :nownow:

Was each tube biased to its own optimum range when switched? If not, the difference may just be due to that which can also be done without changing tube if the amp has adjustable features. :nownow:

I think that is also the reason that I feel the Gold EH300bs sound a little better. With a direct swap, all adjustments the same, they run about 10mA hotter than the regular EH300b.

Hi,

Psvane Hi-Fi series at $300
EH 300b at €270
EH 300b Gold at €310
Shuguang 300b at $320
JJ 300b at €400

check partsconnexion, EH 300b Gold at $170/matched pair

these sound acceprtable, but the glass is a bit thin and that makes them a bit more microphonic than usual!

you've gotta be kiddin' :eek: that should be the price of a single tubes not a pair. double check it

Is there any reason that 300b's are so much more expensive than other tubes? Are they more difficult to produce? Or is it just their reputation and demand for them?

Sometimes you do get tubes that are difficult to produce. The development of what became the KT66 traces the story of how British manufacturers threw their hands up in despair at the task of making a workable beam tetrode and gave the job to the Americans, who said, "No problem."

The Chinese seem to say "no problem" to everything, and could easily flood the market with low-priced 300Bs, so the price probably reflects what the market will bear rather than manufacturing overhead.

Uh you're right :eek: it's a shame they are located at US and won't ship to my country :( If anybody could pick up two pairs for me, I'd be glad to pay an extra 33.33USD for his/her time :eek:

Have you asked them? they not only supply far as they are my fastest supplier (typicaly 48h by normal mail from Canada to Portugal).
What country do you live in?