• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Capacitors for Radio Frequency Amlifier and Converter Oscillator Tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two capacitors in this Stromberg Carlson, 1946 console amplifier that I cannot get to. They are on the Radio Frequency Amplifier tube, #1 on the schematic and the Converter Oscillator tube, #2 on the schematic. See link for schematic: http://audiophool.com/Schem_R/Stromberg_1121-schem.gif

Attached is a picture of them, the are in the center and light blue colored. As you can see they are buried and I cannot get to them without taking it completely apart and that's more than my expertise will allow. I've replaced all the other caps in the unit.

They are Solar brand and have 'sealedtite' on them. How crucial are these two caps in these two stages? Any suggestions for changing them?

Thanks...

Attachments

• 100_4919.JPG
    100_4919.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 91
"How crucial are these two caps in these two stages?"

I would say that if they are there then they are required to be there.

If you could determine which caps they are in the schematic I could offer an opinion of how critical their values and type are.

If they need to be changed then you will have to find a way...or find someone that can do it for you.

Sorry I could not be more help.

#31 is to bypass supply and to offer low Z point for A6 and A12 IF coils to do their bandpassing. It also keeps any IF from higher amplitude stages from feeding back to a more sensitive amplifier stage. This one needs to be low Z @ 455KHz. Without it bandwidth may suffer and IF gain will be reduced or oscillation may occur.

I think it is kind of important.

#34 It keeps the RF out of the supply line. Less critical than #31.

IMHO of course.

Hope that helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.