• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hum in tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have build small SE tube amp using 6L6 and I can hear undesired audible hum from it. Few details:
- it is PCB based (commercial so I belive PCB is not a source of hum): 6L6 SE Tube Amplifier Kit 10+10W (Stereo)_Power Amplifier Kit_Valve Amplifier Kit_Analog Metric - DIY Audio Kit
- toroidal power teansformer is inside the chassis (as well as PCB)
- output transformers are outside the chassis
- power supplt has no choke - just capacitors and 10R resistor
- AC heating is center grounded - ok
- I use start grounding and both input and output jacks are isolated from chassis
- I use 3 wire power cord (PE connected to chassis)

What I have observed:
- after power on hum rises and after few seconds it is audible (heating / warming up?)
- hum disapears immediately after power off
- hum is still audible even if I shorten input pin to gnd

Based on these observations what is the source of the hum?

I don't think there is an issue with ground loop or circuit (commercial PCB kit).
Two ideas coming to my mind:

1. better power supply filtering (add a choke?)
2. "better" wiring - twist pairs of wires tightly, placement of wires - signal / output transformer / heating / power

Any ideas or recommendations where the hum comes from?

Hum like you describe is almost always the result of a ground loop. It is one of the most difficult things to track down, but it is fixable. You don't need any new parts. Here is a list of possible causes:

1. A "cold" solder joint. Very easy problem to create with lead free solder. Check all of your joints for any looseness. Re-flow the ones that look suspect. I have had joints that looked perfect make lousy connections.

2. A ground that runs to two different places. Each item should have only one path to ground. Think Star ground.

3. Unplug your interconnects and short the amp's inputs to make sure the problem is contained within the amp.

4. Make sure everything that should be grounded is grounded. Use your meter to check every grounded item.

You will find it. When I started out doing this it would sometimes take weeks to find the problem. (Not so much anymore).

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I tried to not use an inductor in the power supply only to have to add it to get the hum out... C-L-C(B+)-R-C (2nd stage)-R-C(first stage) Also be sure your heater wires are tight twisted and 1/2" off the PCB or away from the active components. Use a hum pot or verify 6.3v CT is connected to ground, checked. Watch your input to the first stage and verify no ground loops, shielded cable or tight wound.... Verify not a ground loop on the power ground and incoming signal ground, another source....

Thanks for all your comments.

I think it is 100 Hz hum (didn't measure it, just compared by ear with tone generator) and it didn't appear immediately after power one but a few seconds later (warming up?). But it disappears immediately after powef off (no fading out)

I believe I have all grounds connected right (no grond loops).
The resistor in power supply filter is 100R, not 10R as I mentioned before.
So do you think replacing this resistor with choke will help?

Thanks

I had a similar problem a few years back involving a SE guitar amp. The OPT was picking up hum electromagnetically through the Power Transformer. I had to move the OPT to the opposite side of the chassis to fix it. SE designs are much more susceptible to this than PP. An easy way to find out is to just disconnect the P/S secondary and run the transformer w/o a load. If there is electromagnetic coupling you will still hear hum through the speakers. I think in your case the best thing to do would to install the amp and P/S on two different chassis.

Still haven't found a solution...

Well, after a couple of months I'm trying agan to sovle this issues with hum. A few observations:

- the hum is 100 Hz
- it doesn't appear immediately after power one but rather a few seocnds lates - maybe when heating of tubes gets to the right temperature?
- it disappears immediately after power off
- I have tried choke instead of power resistos but there is no difference
- I have tried hum pot parallel to CT resistors (connected to GND) but it doesn't help (it influences 50 Hz hum but not 100 Hz that I'm getting)
- I have twisted all pairs of wires tightly
- all grounds are star grounded - no loops
- I have tried shielding of power transformer but again no difference

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I'm trying to attach some pictures. The circuit is realized on PCB - see the first page with link to supplier's web page.
All pictures show top plate of amp with output transformers open but there is not difference in 100 Hz hum if the top plate is open or closed.

Attachments

• amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,282
  • amp2.jpg
    amp2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 1,259
  • amp3.jpg
    amp3.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,242
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.