• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6146B?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In 1969 Ampeg used these for the first SVT Bass amps! this was the first really high powered bass amp and the stones used them on their US tour. there is an awesome history here: Ampeg : History

I had a 1970 Ampeg SVT and it sounded amazing! one of those amps that sounded so good you didn't want to stop playing! I have had many other models of later 6550 versions and none ever sounded as good...

But this is a Bass guitar amp and not a High fidelity home amp.

I simulated a bit with 6146. The circuit is not a full power version, but a circuit with average supply voltage. The schematic diagram is below:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The results seem very good. The circuit with 6146 is very linear. The THD-reading is achieved with no NFB at all.

Main features are added to the schematic, but I can make the summary:

Supply voltage..........450 V
Screen voltage..........200 V
Grid 1 voltage (bias)...-41 V
Quiescent current...... 40 mA (Ia + Ig2)
Pout........................ 65 W
THD......................... 0.92 % ( very low)
Ra-a........................ 4k3
Drive voltage............. 27 Vrms

I quickly simulated the output stage only with the values you wanted.
Pout = 97 W and THD = 0,96 % (without GNFB)

So it is obvious that the actual 6146 amplifier with 5k output transformer and 650 V supply voltage will give more than 80 W which I understood was your target.
And less than 0,5 % THD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.