• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Beautiful Chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is a very nice chassis, but the power switch is illegal here, switches here must be dpst.

It might make a real nice tube preamp case, i'm on the lookout for one, tho to justify that much real estate i would have to use octal coke bottle rectifiers, octal coke bottle 0C3 vreg tubes and a couple of 813's for mood lighting..

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
If one doesn't have a drill press, table/band saw, sander, and the various metal/wood finishing hand tools, then it is a fairly decent deal. Yes, it is logically possible to build something like that or better at a fraction of the cost but that is only looking at the cost of raw materials.

I agree. It's a very fair price. You guys are all hitting the aluminum, but 2 board feet of some hardwoods can cost $25-60. Add the aluminum which would cost the average DIYer $25-35, and you just spent $50-90. Then finish, tooling, etc.

It's fair. I build my own chassis and do my own woodwork, but that's because I'm tooled for it.

It's a bit dishonest for the seller to describe the wood as palisander. It looks to be padauk. Palisander is Brazilian rosewood which is much finer, rarer, and way more expensive.

John
Palisander is named Jacarandá in the local language, is a much rare dark rosewood with a smell, I dont see a piece of this wood since the 70s years.

Local guitarist are always look for old forniture of this wood to hand on it to his luthier to do a guitar neck or even guitar body.

Jacarandá-da-bahia ? Wikipédia, a enciclopédia livre

I agree, my point was that regardless of misrepresentation, it is still a fair price.

Everyone, once in a while, gets a piece of "what's this wood?" stock, and ends up at the mercy of best guesses. Heck, I build almost exclusively out of hardwood and I am guilty.
At this price it is a good offer with any wood.
I understand you built audio equip chassis with hard woods.
For tube amps sides I prefer soft woods, they sink the microphony and transforner resonances in a nice way.

Last edited:
I just "generalized" hardwoods. Here is one I am doing now with Mahogany and Maple.

9BEC8CBF-D4CA-4291-827D-FD98EDDA0373-16385-00000B8C565ED88E.jpg

this is a very nice chassis, but the power switch is illegal here, switches here must be dpst.

It might make a real nice tube preamp case, i'm on the lookout for one, tho to justify that much real estate i would have to use octal coke bottle rectifiers, octal coke bottle 0C3 vreg tubes and a couple of 813's for mood lighting..

What do you guys think?

Now come-on. If you are building a DIY amplifier you can change a switch !!!! I can't see anywhere in the advert that it states that it is a SPST switch ?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.