• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DeathTrap400™ : : A Pretty Damn Good 300B Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got mine on eBay. The ones I have look a lot like these: 300B Ceramic Socket. I think I just searched for 300B ceramic sockets.

"ux4 socket ceramic" returns this (among other things): Another ceramic socket.

Note the socket pins are intended to poke through the big hole in the board and then connect with short wires to the pads on the board.

~Tom

Last edited:
Hi tomchr, I have a Tubelab SSE witch 6P3S-E (Good and cheap) but my PT (300-0-300) only produces 350 B+.

I have to buy a more powerful one and was thinking of buying the ClassicTone and your 300B-PSU and the Maida regulator boards, that would be an almost universal PSU.

That would allow me to run any tube, also tempts me your 300B but this tube is very expensive though 6N6P is very cheap, I have never heard a DHT so do not wait.

The SSE sounds great but I can not run more powerful tubes, my girlfriend gave me a pair of KT90's for Christmas and I was thinking about a 460-470 B+.

Your PSU+Maida can provide this voltage?

Excuse my bad English

No need for an excuse. Your English is fine.

I have to buy a more powerful one and was thinking of buying the ClassicTone and your 300B-PSU and the Maida regulator boards, that would be an almost universal PSU.

Yep. I like the 0-330-380 secondary on the ClassicTone for that reason. It gives you many options for B+ voltages without dissipating ridiculous amounts of power in the 21st Century Maida Regulator. And if for some reason you want lower B+ voltages, you could always grab a different transformer and hook it to the 300B PSU board.

That would allow me to run any tube, also tempts me your 300B but this tube is very expensive though 6N6P is very cheap, I have never heard a DHT so do not wait.

You may want to take a look at this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/183329-one-more-4p1l-se.html

The 4P1L is pretty inexpensive (<$5/each on eBay) and is supposed to be really good. You won't get as much power as you would with a 300B, but maybe with many in parallel... Or just get more efficient speakers.

I was thinking about a 460-470 B+.

Your PSU+Maida can provide this voltage?

I wouldn't run higher than 500 V RMS into the PSU board. That would result in about 650 V out (700 V at no load). So that's the limit there.

With the ClassicTone transformer, you'll get about 520 V out at nominal mains voltage. So roughly 490~550 V with +/-5 % mains variation (this is pretty tight, actually). The 21st Century Maida Regulator requires about 15 V across the regulator in order to regulate. So you're fine there.
But if the mains variation gets to +/-10 %, you'll run out of headroom. As far as I know, both the EU and the US operate at +/-5 % mains, so it should be alright, but I generally design for +/-10 % mains variation.

Another option is to lower the B+ voltage to 450 V. Then you can support +/-10 % mains variation with the ClassicTone transformer I specify.

~Tom

Last edited:
Look at the thread about the 4P1L, the circuit looks complicated to make a PTP, I like Tubelab designs and yours because they offer a PCB´s (easy and tidy).

Where I live mains voltage varies about 5%, then the PT recommended by you, what is the maximum B+ can by achieved?

I'd say the maximum B+ you can get with the ClassicTone 40-18069, my PSU board, and the 21st Century Maida Regulator for +/-5 % mains variation is roughly:

520 * 0.95 - 15 = 479 V.

That's assuming about 225 mA of steady-state load (like my 300B amp). If you push the transformer closer to the limit, I wouldn't count on more than 470~475 V.

The plot thickens... :)

I promised pictures of how the ferrite bead mounts to the gate of Q1. See attached.

1) Gather materials: FQP3P50, machine screw (M3x8 or #4x3/8 is probably ideal), lock washer, nut, thermal goop, heat sink.
2) Using pliers, bend the leads on the FQP3P50 to a 90 degree angle such that the mounting hole and the pins line up with the respective holes on the board footprint. Apply a thin coat of thermal compound to the FQP3P50 and drape the ferrite bead onto the gate lead.
3) It requires a bit of skill and patience, but it is possible to get the FQP3P50 onto the heatsink and the combo aligned with the footprint on the board without losing the ferrite bead. Tighten the screw until the lock washer bites into the board. Cut and solder the leads.

Note: For the ultimate gory detail in the picture, right click on it and open it in a new tab.

~Tom

Attachments

• 300B_PSU_R2p0_Q1.jpg
    300B_PSU_R2p0_Q1.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 1,064
The noise level of the 300B amp? That's roughly 1 uV/rt(Hz) noise spectral density. I seem to recall that integrating up to about 300 uV RMS (80 kHz bandwidth).

I'd say the 300B amp is a bit overkill for headphone use, but each to their own, I guess.

The supply is as quiet as it gets. The B+ measures 20 uV RMS hum+noise at the output of the 21st Century Maida Regulator.

~Tom

On my Switchmode Filament Supply thread, the following question came up. I figured the answer would be more useful in this thread, so I'm porting the question over.

On my 300B amp project I'm collecting parts to build, will be only one tube on output stage, and 8 ohm speaker per channel.
[...], what output transformer I should consider to purchase in terms of primary resistance? I can see 2.5K, 3.5K, 4.2 and 5K primary and this confuses me.. Regardless the design, does the output transformer resistance makes a big difference and why, what will be your decision, and if you have any suggestion or brand just let me know.

The general rule of thumb is that you get lower distortion with the higher primary impedances at the expense of lower output power.

I think most people tend to gravitate towards 3.3 kOhm for slightly higher output power at slightly higher THD and 5 kOhm for slightly lower output power and slightly lower THD.

Personally, I use 5 kOhm and have tried emulating the effects of using different primary impedances by changing the load resistor. I found that I got the best performance at 400 V, 85 mA, 5 kOhm primary. I seem to recall getting about the same amount of output power at clipping regardless of primary impedance. But at the lower primary impedances, the THD at low power (typical listening levels) was quite a bit higher. Basically, my amp is optimized for 5 kOhm primary impedance, and after experimenting with different primary impedances I didn't see any reason to change this.

I have tried the Edcor CXSE25-8-5K ($80/each) and Electra-Print custom wound transformers (spec: 300B, 20 W, 100 mA, 5 kOhm, 4 & 8 ohm secondary, copper). The Edcor transformers are quite good but the Electra-Print are amazing. I wouldn't say the difference is "night and day" but I like the tone of the E-P better and they do seem to resolve more detail in the highs while providing firmer bass. But they're also 3x the cost of the Edcors. If you're on a budget, get the Edcor. At $80/each, it's very hard to beat on performance/price.

~Tom

Last edited:
I compared Edcor output transformers and Hashimoto, and the Hashimoto immediately had better clarity and more treble sparkle. With a good 300B amp like this one, it's worth investing good money on the transformer.

I agree. If you're building with 300Bs, you're already aiming high. Save up some more cash. Get good OPTs. Don't put a 3-cylinder engine in a Ferrari.

~Tom

Tom,

Thank you for complete replies in both threads.
You answered in all questions I was looking answer from somebody who has experience on building 300B amp and circuits around it, perfect.

As per transformers you are suggesting, I search in the sites and found very good reviews and customers are satisfied with them. In my location where I live, it's a bit problematic to receive transformers from overseas and customs here is pain..
In my neighboring country, are few companies which produce output transformers, among them is trafomatic.com and they offer dual C core outputs and standard ones.
I will see how much will cost and I might order pair of them.

thanks

bekim

:eek:

I know - too many questions :p

Ok, I can find mostly two types of output transformers (OT): EI and double C core. Now, more than half of people are suggesting EI core towards double C core, in terms of sound quality; warm sound, natural vocals, etc..etc..
I contact through email this guy who makes OT in poland - ogonowski.eu, and he recommends EI rather than C core..

What you say..? I know there isn't perfect part for certain job, but just your experience. I appreciate that.

thanks

bekim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.