• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

2 Channel Tube Amp and Sub Connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK ...I am new...so start laughing!
I need some help to see if what I want to do is possible.
I have a two channel tube amp (no line out) and I am attempting to put together the following 2.1 system.
2- 8ohm passive bookshelf speakers
1- powered sub woofer..
Is it possible to power my passive speakers and still get a signal to my subwoofer.
I have a link to show photos for the back of my amp and the back of my sub.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8425/7675982556_060aee5d7c_h.jpg
Hopefully I am not being fool and somehow this is possible. If I have to add a device to make this happen I am not opposed to that.
Thanks. (be easy on me!!!!)
--bob

The powered sub woofer has a built in adjustable low pass filter. All you need to do is drive it from the output of your amp. The Sub has both left and right inputs which are internally buffered and mixed before the low pass filter. You will have to connect the output of your amp to the L&R inputs of the sub and may need to use resistor dividers to compensate for the signal level.

The rub is that if you don't have a high pass filter in your amp to compensate for the sub woofer, you may end up with excessive bass.

You will just have to play with it.

Last edited:
yo Gimp...I am slow with this. If you looked at my photo of the back on the amp...I only have one left and right RCA input on the subwoofer. You must be very specific about wires or I will misunderstand. I am connecting the 8ohm left and right outputs and the grounds to my book shelf speakers. Can you tell me specifically (each wire from the amp what it connects to and the sub what it connects to. It is not clear to me.
Also...someone told me that I could take my headphone jack and use that ...put in a male connector to the jack and run a split (left and right RCA) and plug that into the two RCA inputs on the sub. Does that sound correct?????
Thanks for the help.
-BB

Thanks Richie Boy....I think I have the solution..I feel so Duh. I have been thinking of this backward. (this is not my strong area...LOL)..I think I can just put my signal in to the input RCA jacks on the SubWoofer and then run the left and right output from my SubWoofer (see photos) to one of the inputs on my amp. That is the best way..NO? If I do that ...is there a preferred input on the amp that I should use??????
Thanks everyone....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.