• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

WE448A data

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I believe the data sheet here: http://www.westernelectric.com/spec_sheets/448B.pdf See figure 1 which appears to be curves with the plate and screen grid tied together. (Triode connection)

Make a simple test jig and do some measurements. If you use a good CCS load and tie plate and screen grid together with fixed grid bias you can measure mu directly.

I don't think that is correct; I believe that they mean that both Anode and G2 are at 150V which of course is not quite the same as triode connection.

The valve appears to be very similar to the Swedish (Ericsson) A-1600 a.k.a. 7150 . I had some of these once, stubby bulb, Magnoval B9G base, Va (max) 150V etc. the data are in the Vade-Mecum section 108. I did make some curves but these are now lost I'm afraid. Mu was about 30 as I recall.

Paul

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't think that is correct; I believe that they mean that both Anode and G2 are at 150V which of course is not quite the same as triode connection.

<snip>
Paul

The curves do look triode like. The statement Eb=Ec2=X volts is a somewhat common nomenclature for triode connection here, (both WE and Sylvania were known to publish data sheets this way) and I interpreted the individual curves as being the combination of Eb=Ec2 at the plate voltage given to the right of the curve.

The curves certainly don't look that great, but may in fact be better than shown when actually measured. These might be good in something like a phono stage if the mu turns out to be reasonable.

The curves do look triode like. The statement Eb=Ec2=X volts is a somewhat common nomenclature for triode connection here, (both WE and Sylvania were known to publish data sheets this way) and I interpreted the individual curves as being the combination of Eb=Ec2 at the plate voltage given to the right of the curve.

The curves certainly don't look that great, but may in fact be better than shown when actually measured. These might be good in something like a phono stage if the mu turns out to be reasonable.

No they are not triode curves; these curves - transfer characteristics with Va constant and varying G2 voltage and G1 voltage - appear regularly in pentode and beam tetrode data sheets. For example have a look at the nice set for the pentode section of 6AW8A here.

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.