• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Are we committing suicide?! (Asbestos in vaccum tube base)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
as you might know, Asbestos is so dangerous and will cause lung cancer in case of breathing it's crystals! :eek: Asbestos was widley used in anti-temperature materials... Tube bases are refractory and are resistance against heat, keeping in mind that Asbestos once upon a times were widly in use among industrial applications, I thought Tube bases might have Asbestos in them!!! :confused:

any idea?

but all NOS tubes are made long years ago...

Do you have a list of tube numbers and brands that you believe contained asbestos?

Most bases I've seen are either ceramic (no mix of asbestos needed, and its cheap (clay-china),
or else a kind of brown bakelite plastic (made from soy-beans? as were all the early plastics).

I've never seen asbestos, except perhaps in heat-shielding on high-power transmitter/radar?

Have you got any links that could confirm the use of asbestos?

I wonder about the danger.
We used asbestos screens and plates over Bunsen burners all through high-school,
and I don't think anyone got cancer from that exposure.
Climbing around air-ducts might be another matter...

Asbestos was used typically in sheets wrapped around heating pipe
in the older buildings I've seen and played in.

Certain 'screw-in' sockets may have had an asbestos layer in them,
because this might have been used for its insulating properties:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Quit whining !
The usual tubes where we come along are made out of glass and metal. Where should there be Asbestos ?
On my window sill stands a Telefunken RS291, the German 211/845 used in Nazi warships for short wave radio. This is an exception to what I said above. It's got a special shet metal socket case which is tightened to the glass with a string of asbestos.
Just made a picture, look the attachment.
But as long as you don't touch, pull out etc. the stuff won't do anything. Asbestos is bad when you scratch it, drill it, mill it, grind it etc. Leave it alone and you're fine.

Attachments

• RS291.jpg
    RS291.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 500
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi I think when more people would have thought like Ariyahoor in the past asbestos wouldn't have been used so much....

It is exactly the "stop whining": mentality that have helped the asbestos problem we now have in the world. Not in our western world but for instance in India where old western ships are being dismantled by children. Ships full of asbestos....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4570246.stm

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Indian_court_says_asbestos-laden_ship_can_be_broken_up_999.html

So while the use of hazardous materials might not be a risk to the current (trained) users it might be a great risk when the product is out of use and will be recycled. So society should think twice and ban the use of certain materials.

Last edited:
It is exactly the "stop whining": mentality that have helped the asbestos problem we now have in the world. Not in our western world but for instance in India where old western ships are being dismantled by children. Ships full of asbestos....

No. It's lack of education and greed. Or do you really think that asbestos is the problem when poor uneducated children have to dismantle western ships ??!!

Goiânia accident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - You think caesium137 is the bad guy here ?

Bhopal disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - You think it's methyl isocyanate's fault ? DOW-Chemical is completely innocent ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidator_(Chernobyl) - Radioactivity to blame for ?

With "stop whining" I meant 'use your brain', 'get a book' etc. NOT something like 'don't care, go for it'.

Just banning everything is an illusion. Mercury is a hazard but a extremely good UV emitter in ionizing fluorescent lamps. PCBs are dangerous but I hardly know of any better fire proof isolating oils for the industry. People need to be informed and educated.
The Problem is that some guys on this Planet make their profit with exactly that dirty labor.

Only a few rare and esoteric tubes might have asbestos in their bases. For 99.99% of the audio tubes we use, it is a non-issue. And as long as you don't grind it up and snort it, you'll be fine. I've built buildings in developing countries with Asbestos roofs - it's perfectly safe as long as it's not misused, it's durable, fireproof, and doesn't corrode, and it's far better than no roof. Much of the fear of asbestos is from lawyers and companies that make their money with expensive cleanup operations

When I was a kid (1950's) my parents and our neighbours were best friends. Every weekend our family would go with our neighbours to help them build their cottage. They had a wood burning cooking stove and a coal/woodburning stove for heat. Once the inside was sort of finished our neighbours were concerned about fire. They purchased some fire proof cloth material and my mother helped their mother make floor to ceiling curtains that were placed behind the stoves. The material, was asbestos. Our neighbours would demonstrate to all the visitors how their new curtains couldn't burn. Fortunately for everyone involved no one got asbestosis.

Only the cement in the bases might possibly have asbestos. But it is not in any formulation for the cement that I know of. Very unlikely that the Bakelite has any asbestos content.

Asbestos was not a component of the internals of any tubes that I know of.

Not much to worry about. In fact nothing at all.

_-_-bear

There was so much asbestos about when I was small; I remember breaking up old asbestos sheets etc; and one of my friends' father had a bottle of mercury; we had hours of fun with that. And here I still have a broken WE416D - BERYLLIUM shock horror. And I've smoked for fifty years.

No chance for me then... :)

Paul

I have to deal with asbestos a fair bit in the buildings I am in.

Non-friable asbestos is nothing to worry about and it is what you would have if there was any in a tube. If you decided to smash is with a hammer or grind it, you are converting it to friable. In that case you might have a slight concern.

Moral: Don't hit tubes with hammers.

as you might know, Asbestos is so dangerous and will cause lung cancer in case of breathing it's crystals! :eek: Asbestos was widley used in anti-temperature materials... Tube bases are refractory and are resistance against heat, keeping in mind that Asbestos once upon a times were widly in use among industrial applications, I thought Tube bases might have Asbestos in them!!! :confused:

any idea?

Bah. As long as you do not eat the tube you will be fine. If you eat the tube it will not be asbestos that will hurt you.

In order for asbestos to be inhaled you would need to grind up the part that contains the fibers (not crystals) and then inhale them.

Hi All,
Asbestos needs to get into your lungs to be dangerous, as in friable fibers. For the DIYaudio world I am more concerned about the cloth insulators on old conductors, as in the leads to the classic iron we pay extra for.
The fibers are crystals, long thin ones
DT

Last edited:
My wife works in medicine. Asbestos is not used as building material anymore. Lead is not used in soldering and in paints anymore. All foods are pasteurized and refined, but percentage of patients with cancer are higher. Despite of more of low fat food diets and sugar free drinks consumed percentage of obesity and diabetes are higher. Despite of lower level of cholesterol consumed percentage of heart deceases is higher.

Somehow all this FDA reality looks more like computer - aided electronics simulation...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.