• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

01a DHT Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
After playing with DHT preamps (26, 71a, 4P1L, 46), I ended up staying with a CX301a version of it. I liked its warm sound and tone so I decided to stay with it. It's been over 2 months so far that I haven't returned to my precious 26 preamp (I will probably revisit my 26 preamp based on latest updates from Andy Evans).

As I'm working on a version of the 4-65a SE amp by Michael Koster, I started investigating options and ways of improving the 01a as will be the first valve of my amplifier.

Using curves plot with my curve tracer and Dmitry's composite model, I got a very well matched spice model for the 01a.

I modelled in LTSpice two versions of the gyrator loaded preamp with filament bias and Rod Coleman's superb filament regulator:

1) Version 1: Using Anatoly's PNP-FET Gyrator
2) Version 2: using classic cascoded-FET gyrator with mu-follower output.

Interesting results came out of this first simulation test. I think I haven't managed to optimise (again) Anatoly's gyrator despite have managed to keep good VDS (38V) to keep the CoSS low. I get slightly worse THD (0.03% versus 0.016%) compared to the MOSFET version.

Looking at output impedance, version 1 has 10K @1kHz whereas the version 2 can get as low as 734 ohms but impedance raises significantly at low frequencies (70k version 1 versus 80k version 2). This can be reflected in the frequency response where version 1 performs better than version 2.

At high frequency both preamps perform very well up to 1MHz despite version 2 performing slightly better.

At this point, it looks like if output capacitor of version 2 is increased in value to improve the LF rolloff, it seams that overall performs better than version 1 as THD and output impedance are better? :rolleyes:

Have I missed anything here?

Has anyone tried both circuit and compared sonic differences?

Thanks for the help
Ale

Attachments

• 01 Preamp1 Output impedance.png
    01 Preamp1 Output impedance.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 951
  • 01a Preamp 2 Frequency response.png
    01a Preamp 2 Frequency response.png
    19 KB · Views: 916
  • 01a Preamp 2 Output impedance.png
    01a Preamp 2 Output impedance.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 915
  • 01a Preamp version 1.png
    01a Preamp version 1.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 939
  • 01a Preamp version 1 Frequency response.png
    01a Preamp version 1 Frequency response.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 915
  • 01a Premp version 2.png
    01a Premp version 2.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 485
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.