Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Those Magnificent Television Tubes
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #1611
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking-amp View Post
10JA5 and 6JC5 19 Watt cap-less Vertical Sweeps. Higher Rp though.
I now have a bunch of 6JC5 to play with, but yeah, rp is shown on the data sheet as 50k ohms. I'll probably strap those triode and run them at about Vp = 300V and Ip = 60mA. I see nothing wrong with a 10W per channel PP triode amp. I figure an 8kp-p primary OPT should work for that. I have some of those...

6GE5 are $6 each... ?
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #1612
wg_ski is online now wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
I'm scratching my head about what RCA was thinking when they put the 6L6 plate pin adjacently to the heater's
Back when they first made 6L6’s (no bloody A,B,C or D) no one ever expected plate voltages to go to 800. I suppose it might have made sense to move pins around on the EL34 and the KT stuff, but I suppose they wanted keep them 7AC-ish so you could put in “bigger tubes” in an older design.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #1613
smoking-amp is offline smoking-amp  United States
diyAudio Member

Socket 7AC had two spare pins, this should not have happened.

Quote:
I suppose they wanted keep them 7AC-ish so you could put in “bigger tubes” in an older design.
Compatibility has a big downside later on. Look at the 8088 follow on chips we still use, along with all the bus changes and Windows software changes.

Non-compatible compatibility.

We are all still "driving" Chevy Chevette engines with 10 layers of super-charging added on.

-------------------

Quote:
6GE5 are $6 each... ?
12GE5 are $3 at Vacuumtubes.net. Used to be on the $1 list.
So were 21HB5A. $6 now.
What has happened to all those ESRC tubes?
Someone needs to tell some Estate Settlement lawyers and clients about tubes going gassy with time. And hobby demand dying off with the Pandemic.

Last edited by smoking-amp; Yesterday at 04:40 PM.
Old Today, 12:13 AM   #1614
Tubelab_com is online now Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking-amp View Post
What has happened to all those ESRC tubes?
I know that as of Christmas week 2019 there were about 300 26HU5's, because I personally climbed the ladder to get them, and put them back on an upper shelf because Angelo, Stan's warehouse guy had the week off.

I was in Orlando with my daughter's extended family including 4 grandkids dropping a few kilodollars at the Kingdom of the Mouse.

I only had enough leftover cash and van space for a few, but I did pick out the shiniest tubes with good boxes. Unfortunately that would be the last time I ever saw Stan.

Those Magnificent Television TubesHide this!Advertise here!