• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Stubborn Oscillation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Previously known as kingden
Joined 2008
I am almost done with my KT88 push push parallel amplifier. There is a stubborn stability issue I am having with it that only occurs when a speaker load is connected. An 8 ohm dummy load presents no oscillation. One speaker I tried it oscillated at 312k, and at present it is about 125k. Sometimes the frequency and amplitude can vary but it is relatively consistent. Another symptom is a squeal that lasts several seconds as the amp is warming up, while the oscillation is climbing up to maximum amplitude.

I added an RC network after the upfront stage with a 10k POT in an effort to stop the resonance. No cigar after trying a few caps and sweeping the pot.

One person suggested placing an RC network across the OPT primary. I tried that with a 270 ohm and .01uF capacitor, as I do not have picofarad capacitance high voltage capacitor stock yet. No cigar with that.

Another person said to try placing a small cap between the phase splitter plates. I have not yet tried this as I am waiting for my high voltage caps in the mail.

I also tried a few resistors and caps across the output. That did nothing either.

Am I on the right track, or is there something else I should be looking at? The schematics are attached.

Attachments

• Driver.jpg
    Driver.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 332
  • Output.jpg
    Output.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 326
  • Power Supply.jpg
    Power Supply.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 325
As a first try, remove 39pf at the feedback resistor loop. If the oscillation stops, then, the amplifier is not unity gain stable, so you must stabilize it after closing the loop. If it doesn´t stop, the chech abnormal loops like trough power lines, capacitive coupling between in and outs´etc.

Best regards. keep us posted.

Temporarily remove the 39pF across the 10k feedback resistor, then try increasing the 10k until the amp becomes stable. This will give you an idea of how far off stability you are.

One option to try is splitting the 10k into two resistors, with a small cap across one of them.

I never do such things, with caps in feedback. They are good for oscilloscope pictures, no more. Otherwise it is harmful, requiring more of compensation for unity gain stability that is not needed. Also this cap feeds signals from cellphones to the amp's input.

Suggestions,
Make sure the 10R Anode stoppers are right on the tube socket pins.
Up the screen stoppers to 1K. Ultralinear Mode REQUIRES larger values of screen stoppers.
ASIDE: I had a 4 x EL34 HiFi Amp with 150R screen stoppers. It was fine in triode ande Pentode Mode but oscillated like crazy in Ultralinear Mode - increasing the screen stops from 150R to 1K fixed the oscillation in that amp.
Up the grid stoppers to at least 4K7 or even 10K

Cheers,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.