• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Toroidal transformer on tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I find the fidelity is excellent, especially using series connection of two toroids. Clean sine waves up to over 150kHz, and 20kHz square looks so good I had to check that I wasn't looking at the source! My friend even picked the toroid over the Hammond 1650N in listening tests.

Would you mind sharing more information about your amplifier ? I would love to see a complete schematic. What kind of valve do you use ?

Shipping prices is what held me from buying Antek transformers. Sadly, triad doesn’t make suitable power transformer for regular tube use...

Would you mind sharing more information about your amplifier ? I would love to see a complete schematic. What kind of valve do you use ?

Shipping prices is what held me from buying Antek transformers. Sadly, triad doesn’t make suitable power transformer for regular tube use...

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/331934-6p45s-ppp-monoblocks-5.html#post5822179

The power supply for the output stage is in the fifth post. I use DC boost converters to get -110V for bias supply, and 560V for the VA/PI/driver stages.
The VPT230 series makes 300-320V depending on size and load, 600V with a doubler.
The VPT12 series make great heater transformers as well as outputs.

In my amp, I'm using a VPT18 160VA and full wave with shottky diodes to get ~12VDC for the heaters and DC boost converters and VPT18 250VA as OPTs

Last edited:
I repaired a Marantz 8B that had a burnt out power transformer. I asked Toroid Corporation to twist me up a 150VA toroidal transformer with the same windings / voltages as the original EI-cored xfmr had. It barely just fit into the place of the original. Amp sounds fine and is slightly more powerful due to the voltage regulation of the toroid, which is better than that of the EI-cored transformer.

I had had a lot of trouble with Australian made toriods, most have gone up in smoke, but they do no replace, some even did not last 3 months.
The Chinese one's even have better better voltage regulation
Bull peters;Could you let me know how to find IT
I think some firms must have contracts with DHL

Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.