• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New Tim Mellows OTL project

Looks good from underneath. When mine is powered up fully for 2 hours, the chassis gets too hot to touch. A 4 inch wide slim 12 Volt DC computer cooling fan running from one of the 12 Volt heater windings, but half-wave rectified with a 1N4007, brings the temperature down by a full 20 degrees Centigrade. The fan can be so slim - an inch or less - that it can easily fit on the inside of the bottom cover. It also pushes a nice draught of air up the sides of the O/P tubes. It will run at half speed and produce virtually no noise. Well worth considering. BTW, my 3 traffos produce virtually no heat either.

i used 2mm thick aluminum for my chassis...
the owner wants wood on the sides, i may have to argue with him over this,
not a good idea imho....

i used 2mm thick aluminum for my chassis...
the owner wants wood on the sides, i may have to argue with him over this,
not a good idea imho....
I went for rosewood for the sides with chrome handles. I also used an alum chassis.

Attachments

• Powered-1.jpg
    Powered-1.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 380
  • Powered-2.jpg
    Powered-2.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 361
any one else tried the russian 6j32? ef86 equivalent...
i got very good results in the other amps that i used that tube in....

My lot of 18 6J32s arrived yesterday from Russia after a 6 week delay. I haven't matched any of them yet, but so far they are very DC stable compared with either JJ or Electro-Harmonix. I'll report back when I match out some pairs.

My lot of 18 6J32s arrived yesterday from Russia after a 6 week delay. I haven't matched any of them yet, but so far they are very DC stable compared with either JJ or Electro-Harmonix. I'll report back when I match out some pairs.

mine are svetlana 6j32, so far so good...

your tubes from moscow arrived fast, mine arrived after 8 months, i was about to give up of those....

mine are svetlana 6j32, so far so good...

your tubes from moscow arrived fast, mine arrived after 8 months, i was about to give up of those....
Yes, mine are also original Soviet era Svetlana. All 18 arrived in a factory cardboard "ammo pack". Looking at the physical design, they appear very rugged. I've tried 6 of them so far in the amp without matching and all were OK. BTW, I'm about to connect two high quality speakers to the amp for the first time. Wish me luck!!!!

good luck.....tell us about it, mine will take two to three weeks more, i am designing boards....

OK, the first thing to say is that I used 2 150 Watt bass LS speakers because my two full range Fostex speakers were a little too delicate to take a chance, if the amp suddenly went faulty. So as far as all frequencies from very very low to about 350 Hz they sound great. There is a great downward extension of bass response that I have not experienced with any of my solid state amps, including my rebuilt vintage Quad 405 Mark I. I won't try full range speakers until I'm happy with the amp's reliability. Another outstanding feature is the complete absence of any hum, sizzle or hiss. Chris (cnpope) was spot on with that aspect. So, so far so good. I'm now going to install the test points for 1 Ohm plate current measurement resistors. I had this weird notion that 1 Ohm would show up in the output chain and bring down the output level, but I'll take you at your word about there being no ill effect on the design. Thanks.

Last edited:
Better photo.

I think this shot gives a better idea of how the amp looks. Here I'm trying out some Svetlana 6J32Ps. I'm going to cook the heaters of all 18 for 24 hours before I match them into pairs. BTW, I think the rosewood side panels and chromed handles look well together.

Attachments

• Cooking-1.jpg
    Cooking-1.jpg
    968.7 KB · Views: 281
Great looking chassis, but I see no ventilation holes. How do you keep
the internals from baking? It looks like an oven - with no ventilation.
The ventilation is through the 6 mm gaps above the tops of the tube bases. A large slow-turning fan, mounted on the inside of the bottom cover, blows lots of air up through these gaps and up the sides of the 6C33Cs. I tried it with no fan at first but as you say, the inside bakes without it, so it's essential. The fan also takes the temperature of the chassis surface down a full 20 degrees Centigrade. Thanks for the complimentary remarks about the chassis.