• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What amp to build? Push Pull, SE? thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SE has a simpler circuit, but may need a better power supply as it can't take advantage of a PP output to reduce hum. To some extent SE vs PP is a matter of taste, so only you can judge that. Other things are room size, speaker sensitivity, type of music, how loud you like it etc. Also, how much experience do you have at building electronics, and particularly mains powered valve electronics?

Hi, I`ve been tweaking and building a handfull tube amps for some years now, but never actually designed one from scratch. Only kits and stuff. I`m an electrical engineer (high voltage) and are familiar with basic electronic theory and ofcourse dangers. I`ve found some basic setups regarding various resistors, plate, grid, and cathode on the el84 and 12AX7. Only thing I`m not sure of is wether it`s critical to match the impedance between the preamp stage and output stage?

I'm leaning towards Wavebourn's response... look at what OPTs you have or what you're willing to spend on a pair. That will dictate your amp overall... and you should consider the output tube and stage topology at the same time.

Oddly, 45 triodes are a bit less expensive these days... for a couple watts, it's difficult to think you could possibly do better. And at the same time, consider what you are going to be driving as a speaker... that also influences what you would or could be happy with.

Regards, KM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.