• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

cascoded gyrator loaded 6H9C to low idle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

The problem is, the bottom tube don,t want get enough idle current, except if the grid negative is 0.5 volt ( ilde is then 0.3 mA,) but that is to low for input signal to prevent positive grid and so distortion.

the supply is 335 volt and it is divide so 100 volt acros the gyrator, the rest acros the two tubes.

the 6H8C (6SN7) do work with enough idle current, now 5 mA and enough high negative on grid, I was supprised about the sound it was very nice warm en deep, a lot of separation between instruments, unwhile on the internet the cascode is not a good way to amplifiy but for the russian ones it is, what I saw on multim, the distortion is morely second and a little thirth, the rest upwards is very low.

Maybe what I think is for the 6H9C the voltage get higher to 450 volts then I can idle it.

I did use this because of needed high voltageswing for a hybrid amp.

thanks for your help.

regards.

Schematic and distortion simulation.

I have yesterday try a very low ilde current of plus minus 0.300 mA and it did sound very relaxed and still speed and deep stage, this tube in a SRPP sounds hars, very hars, so maybe a mu follower with this can sound good.

It seems that tubes has all there own livingroom, like people.

thanks for the help I appreciated it.

Attachments

• cascode-6H9C.gif
    cascode-6H9C.gif
    67 KB · Views: 387
  • cascode distortion..gif
    cascode distortion..gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 360
How much voltage across each tube?

My guess would be the bias of the right triode of U7 is set wrong and is limiting current through the cascode. I've not studied cascode much so I'll defer to others on it.

The 470R grid-stop resistors should be in the 10K-47K range. 470R will have virtually no effect as a grid stop for a small signal tube.

The problem is, the bottom tube don,t want get enough idle current, except if the grid negative is 0.5 volt ( ilde is then 0.3 mA,) but that is to low for input signal to prevent positive grid and so distortion.

the supply is 335 volt and it is divide so 100 volt acros the gyrator, the rest acros the two tubes.

The 6H9C is equivalent to the 6SL7, and is not a type that's amenable to cascode operation, as you've discovered. You'd be much better off using the 6SN7. In cascode, it should give ab Av= ~80, and that should be more than enough gain for just about anything.

If you need more gain than that, then other good choices would be the 6BQ7 (the ones with parallel connected heaters, as the ones with series connected heaters tend to be cheaper, and very microphonic) or the 6DJ8 -- both of which were designed for cascode operation. The 6SL7 was intended as a low current, high gain small signal amp that doesn't swing big voltages into anything but a very Hi-Z, Lo-C load, such as a follow-up cathode follower.

the 6H8C (6SN7) do work with enough idle current, now 5 mA and enough high negative on grid, I was supprised about the sound it was very nice warm en deep, a lot of separation between instruments, unwhile on the internet the cascode is not a good way to amplifiy but for the russian ones it is, what I saw on multim, the distortion is morely second and a little thirth, the rest upwards is very low.

I've had no problems with cascodes and sonic performance, but there isn't much about hollow state cascodes so far as audio amp use and sonic performance. In doing a design with cascoded 6BQ7s as an LTP gain stage/phase splitter, it was a case of try and listen. It performed very well indeed.

It is a joy to test the tubes, I have get free a box of them, with telefunkes, pope, phillips etc, so I can play.

I use the casode for a hybride, she drive a 6as7 tube, ut this tube is not easy to idle, I have to use a cathode CCs for it then it can dc couple to the mosfets with bipolair supply, I don,t exact how much current I need for mosfets, the 6AS7 was for the design of a high power hybride with multiple mosfets paralleled and a story that the big tubes can drive mosfets more relaxed what give a better sound, what we all here try to get.

ohh yes I use the cascode for drive a 6n6p cathodefollower who has high z and low c.

The schematic of the cathode coupled amp from the aikido seems better for this 6sl7 tubes, srpp don,t sound wel for me. Put a gyrator or ccs in second tube plate resistor.. Afcourse we have to recalt it for the 6sl7.

thanks in advance

Attachments

• capacitor-input cathode-coupled amplifier [fixed] (1).png
    capacitor-input cathode-coupled amplifier [fixed] (1).png
    18.5 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
How much voltage across each tube?

My guess would be the bias of the right triode of U7 is set wrong and is limiting current through the cascode. I've not studied cascode much so I'll defer to others on it.

The 470R grid-stop resistors should be in the 10K-47K range. 470R will have virtually no effect as a grid stop for a small signal tube.

I have the schematic from tubecad, and it is called super liniair the resistors are oke, except the grid I now but is in amp 1k not so important with simulation.

the voltage divider resistors of top triode is 50 procent of supply.

Hi All

I have record a pieace of music with the 6H8C casdode on 5 mA idle and gyrator loaded, I did use Wavebourn design of gyrator I hope I was elowed to do ;-) and thanks.

I go put here some samples I have 6N1P, 6N2P, 6N6P, ^6H13C but these are not suitable for use as driver for mosfets, the mu is to low and not easy to idel it properly for mine purpose.

Let me now how the sound is, and know it is compressed in youtube, I have no place for high quality hosting. one drawback, I have some noise and rattle in speaker, but only hear that with
my ear closest to speaker, not in sound, plus if I toch the 6H8C I hear the brrr signal like on input, so cascode is sensitive, or the tube has russian sensivity like my old girlfriend who was russian..

6H9C-cascode-sound.mpv - YouTube

Attachments

• 24122011007.jpg
    24122011007.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
I have record a pieace of music with the 6H8C casdode on 5 mA idle and gyrator loaded, I did use Wavebourn design of gyrator I hope I was elowed to do ;-) and thanks.

I have noting against gyrator, but I don't understand why to torture the tube (6H9C) that wants much more voltage to sing nice?

Also, while gyrator allows you to minimize 2'nd order harmonic of the upper tube, the lower tube works in conditions that maximize it. With such design goal in mind I would use instead 2 stages loaded on plain resistors.

I have noting against gyrator, but I don't understand why to torture the tube (6H9C) that wants much more voltage to sing nice?

Also, while gyrator allows you to minimize 2'nd order harmonic of the upper tube, the lower tube works in conditions that maximize it. With such design goal in mind I would use instead 2 stages loaded on plain resistors.

Hi

First happy christmas.

What I did are tests, just curieus what it did with sound and tubes, it is a nice way to get trough these dark days.

I have used your gyrator, I had on the cascode the 6H9C but have change that rapidy because it did not work oke, the 6H8C is better that is the sound you have hear on the video links, voltage was indeed to low, I did mention that already.. what is the best voltage over the tubes?

I did want the second harmonic because it give the sound a nice extra, little sweetness, But in future I can remove the gyrator and use a CCS instead, but don,t now how it sounds then, I like try everything, first I have need for more voltage if use mustage or cascode, (only for 6H8C or 6sn7 tubes) mustage for 6H9C.

Oke, I am just ready with try the 6H9C again, the sweetest sound I get is with mu follower idle on 0.5 a 0.7 mA I saw that the tubes I get from russia are very different in idle she are not the same, but that is normal I think with tubes, I mean for links and rechts channel tube.

you can now compare what sound better, but the youtube compression is a big factor to do that.

6H9C-mustage-0.7mA-idle.mpg - YouTube

Attachments

• 6H9C tube mustage..gif
    6H9C tube mustage..gif
    90.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Well the 8H9C has now 450 volt, for the mu stage, and all capacitors are paper in oil, future volatge will be 400
but have nothing else this time and maybe 450 is fine special for cascoded ones.

It sounds warmer then with the polypropilene capacitors who are far more hars in amp, it is quite a difference.

resulting sound here that is mustage way what works well for high mu low current tubes.

highervoltage6H9C - YouTube

it is now complete Russian-Asian marriage.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.