• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

26H choke good enough for a grid or anode choke?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 4 watt SE amp that uses a single EL84 tube per channel driven by a single 12AT7. I beefed up the power supply (SS rectified) by adding 4 120uf caps and was happy with the results. I have quite a few 26H miniature chokes and was thinking of trying them out as either gride or anode chokes or both. Is this inductance to low? Should I use a resister in series with it if the inductance is too low? Their size is about 1"X1"X1" .

26H is good inductance, but I am afraid that your miniature chokes would saturate in such conditions. Most probably they are good for some kind of low signal crossovers, or equalizers. I have tiny transformers, something like 1"x1"1/4", with couple of 12H coils, and they are great when used to equalize RIAA curves for phono stages.

26H is good inductance, but I am afraid that your miniature chokes would saturate in such conditions. Most probably they are good for some kind of low signal crossovers, or equalizers. I have tiny transformers, something like 1"x1"1/4", with couple of 12H coils, and they are great when used to equalize RIAA curves for phono stages.

Thanks for the reply. The coils were originally PCB mount 120V to 12V step down transformers. A low wattage one, maybe a few VA's. The primary side is 26H's, the secondary side 150mh. So next steps probally should be to figure out what there current rating is.

The second picture looks like an easy install. It looks like at that point in the circut, current shunting would be very low.

Attachments

• Grid-Choke-1.jpg
    Grid-Choke-1.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 173
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.