• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Power Supply Dummy Load

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I generally use wire wound power resistors. About 200 watts, but 100 or even 50 watts will do. Just use basic ohms law to get the resistance needed (R=E÷I). Adjustable resistors are handy. If working with clip leads, please be careful. I also have an electronic load that uses transistors should I feel like being hi-tek. :D

Well only thing I have is a few low ohm 5 watt wire wound resistors to try. I do like the idea of a light bulb but don't have access to any 220-240V range bulbs state side. Can I parallel several together to get more load? I don't see it realistically drawing more than 80-90ma.

Thanks,

I am working on the same issue. My concern with light bulbs is initial current draw. I need roughly 400v and 150mA, or 2700 ohms, 50w. This would be 4 x 25w bulbs perhaps.
The problem is, that is under operating conditions and the cold measured resistance of each bulb is only 48 ohm, so initial current draw when turned on is 2 amps! Sure to blowy poor rectifier tube and transformer probably.
Am I figuring something wrong? Or should I just go buy appropriate resistors and do it safely...

I am working on the same issue. My concern with light bulbs is initial current draw. I need roughly 400v and 150mA, or 2700 ohms, 50w. This would be 4 x 25w bulbs perhaps.
The problem is, that is under operating conditions and the cold measured resistance of each bulb is only 48 ohm, so initial current draw when turned on is 2 amps! Sure to blowy poor rectifier tube and transformer probably.
Am I figuring something wrong? Or should I just go buy appropriate resistors and do it safely...

Light bulbs with low initial tungsten resistance is a very good test for fold back PSU's or in my case SMPS converters to check current limiting properties. The problem is that all filament bulbs are gradually being phased out so I'm using an old boiler heater element tapped off with a car headlight or stop bulbs in series as an indicator.
Sign of the times. I'm very much against these new energy saving lamps because they don't work in sub zero temperatures where I live.

richy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.