• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

100 V OPT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey

I was up in landfills, where I bought a pair of used speakers in their hand shop.
The speakers are damaged but there was a transformer at each speaker box.
After I have googlet a little I found out it was 100 V types from PRO-signal.

I found a data sheet here: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/483955.pdf type is PO38A.

How do I measure the primary impedance so I can use them in a little tube amp.

Benny

Last edited:
What version ( power ) is your transformers ?

Try first to determine the turns (transforming-) ratios available with different primaries.
Feed a known AC-voltage, say 1 V and 1kHz in the 8 ohms secondary and read the voltages from all pirimary outputs and tell us.

Let's calculate an example based on the specification you linked.
We know that there is constant voltage 100 V at the primary.
If we select the primary taps for 1.25 W and 8 ohms secondary.
We can now calculate the voltage across the secondary.
This is: U = √ P x R, which is √ 1,25 W x 8 ohms = 3,16 V.
Then we can determine the transforming ratio
µ = ( Uin / Uout) = 100 V / 3,16 V = 31,6.
The impedance ratio is µ2 = 1000 and finally the reflected impedance from 8 ohms secondary to 1.25 W primary = 1000 x 8 ohms = 8 kilo ohms.

For 2.5 W primary, the reflected impedance is 4 k and for 5 W primary it is 2 k. etc.

Last edited:
Hi

"Using 40 watt as B+ and COM and 10W for plate connections"

I meant: Using "40 watt" tap as B+ and the two taps "COM" and "10Watt" as plate connections. This gives Raa at 1k and the impedance from B+ to "COM" and "10 Watt" are indentical.

Yes I know that they are not designed for use in tube amplifiers, but there are a number of articles showing that they can be used.

See the link in your first post. Unfortunately mine is not as useful as other types.

I have 15-20 used EL86/PL84 tubes. Then I can use a PPP solution to eleminate the low impedance.

Benny

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.