• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SIMPLE remote volume control with alps motorized pot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Attached is a cut down schematic of my remote selector/volume control box. I have removed the circuitry that is used for source identification, I used a hex display for A-AUX, D-DVD, C-CD etc.
The main purpose of putting this schematic up was to show how I drive the ALPS control, simple but very dirty but hell it works! All inputs are from a Darlington Driver chip, active Low outputs driven from a commercially made infra-red receiver module.
I take all unused inputs to ground via 100 ohm resistors and that kills any cross talk. Also I have a dedicated command to engage the Tape out sockets onto the audio Bus only when I need them.
A lot of designs leave the tape output cables hanging on the audio bus all the time"

Hello Hi Q: Any chance you could further explain your circuit? Can't make the connection between flip flops and relays.

Guys,

I am not an electronics guy. In fact, I know nothing about electronic components. That's why I am here looking for people who do know this stuff. I saw this post. It is very close to my problem. I thought someone here could help me.

I have a new Samsung UN65F8000 TV I want to use my Logitech Z623 computer speakers with. The TV audio out is a fixed output level, so although the speakers work fine with the TV I have to get up and change the volume with a knob on the speakers. I want to do this with IR remote control. The speakers use a standard 2.5mm stereo jack out. I thought all I would need is remotely controlled device that could vary the voltage of the left and right channels. I thought this was a common problem and would find an off the shelf solution. Not so much. Everyone keeps telling me to buy a Soundbar. Why should I spend hundreds when the speakers I have been using sound great?

In Google searches I found your site and this below which seems to do what I needed. I would have preferred to simply buy a remotely controlled box that you input the fixed volume from the TV and output the remotely controlled left and right channels to the speakers.

Can someone tell me what to look for? I don't even know the terms to search.

Q9HDplB.jpg

WL028P incl. Transmitter

most populare kit therefore is the "WL028P" - go to
AC/DC 9V Infrared Remote Control Volume Control Board ALPS Pre Potentiometer 80x51mm Electric Module-buy at a low prices on Joom e-commerce platform
consist of this special parts:
1) µC, 8051 Series
STC15W104 Features
2) TSOP Module (IR Receiver) similar to
Security Check
3) Motor Control Unit
https://www.elecrow.com/download/datasheet-l9110.pdf
4) Motor, Mabuchi Model: RF330TA-09500
DC Motors in Several Models | Global Sources
5) Potentiometer RK16812
https://tech.alpsalpine.com/prod/e/...tarypotentiometers/rmp_rk16/rk16812mg09t.html
https://tech.alpsalpine.com/prod/e/...tarypotentiometers/rmp_rk16/rk16812mg099.html

Hello, I’m not an electronic person at all. I’m a general contractor. But I’d like to add a motorized pot to a ML 28. Just volume and mute. That’s all. Could someone direct me where to start? Thank you In advance..

Chuck
The ML28 don't use an unmotorized pot as I know - go to
https://audio-database.com/MARK LEVINSON/amp/no28l-e.html
I think it is an encoder.

Last edited:
Mackin the box. I have the very kit you on Ebay you linked to. Have had it for years. It works well and is easy to use. Mine has a 100K pot, don't know if anything else is available.

There is some crosstalk, tho. Mostly on the relay board, but also in the volume section. I did everything I could think of to kill it, with no luck. Could never get it better than about 60dB. Just a word of warning of that's something that would bother you.

Hi Pano-
I realize it has been 10+ years, but I have a couple questions regarding this board. If I post pictures, would you be able to assist?
-Wes

I fitted the remote in post #26 to a preamp, it works pretty well, however the Alps pot looks iffy, am pretty damn sure it's fake ( the whole board and little remote costs about a tenner shipped in the UK, an Alps pot costs about the same or more) so I replaced it with an Alps pot of known provinance.

The range is a bit limited, about 10 foot tops. The spiel on the Ebay UK listing says supply up to 9v,however by cutting a track I got mine to work on 12v,I looked up the datasheet for the motor driver IC it's Vcc is 12v,the rest of the chips are 9v though I think, memory a bit foggy on this.

All in all it's worth the money but as mentioned I'd recommend replacing the pot.

Andy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.