• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Found an Eico HF-86 for sale, is it worth it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was trolling the local classified posts and I found someone selling an Eico HF-86 for $250 in "very good condition". I haven't requested pictures yet, if it is fully functional, or if it has tubes or not. I am wondering if this is a reasonable price for this amplifier? I'm not real up on vintage gear and what they are bringing these days. Thanks!

:cheers:

The HF-86 is stereo, and is basically the same power amplifier section as that of the HF-81, so it certainly has its following (they use the same transformer set).

While the Eico transformers are decent enough, in my experience they are no match for the ST-35's transformers. The Eico transformers typically have a power bandwidth of 10 watts RMS from 30 Hz to 15 kHz, where distortion can be typically held to typically no more than 1% THD in the usual designs.

On the other hand, the ST35's transformers can handle more power, at less distortion, and across the full 20 - 20 kHz bandwidth.

With some haggling, the Eico isn't bad, but the Dyna would be the better performer.

Dave

Thanks a lot guys!

I'll be calling the seller tomorrow, getting some details on this amplifier, and I'll see if I can bring him down in price. It might be a big week, my girlfriend found me a lead on some Western Electric gear. We'll see how that goes. Thanks again, I'll be posting back with pictures if I end up with the Eico!

:cheers:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.