Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Distortion spectrum vs feedback
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2011, 08:00 AM   #11
artosalo is offline artosalo  Finland
diyAudio Member

Here is the graph which is a bit more illustrative than just a table.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th June 2011, 08:51 AM   #12
knutn is offline knutn  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artosalo View Post
I saw this comment at an other tread. This is not the only I have seen claiming that low amount of (global ?) NFB will increase the level of higher order harmonics.

One documented article can be found here: http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/distortion_feedback.pdf

There is results (at page 10) about an experiment done with class A SE Mosfet amplifier showing the increase of higher order harmonics with low amount of NFB.

I made my own test with a 15 W UL-connected tube amplifier to see if I can see this phenomenon.

I made the test with constant -3 dB (7,5 W) output level. Global NFB was adjusted from 0 to 22 dB and the level of harmonics up to 7th was read on each NFB level.

The result is that my experiment did not show such behaviour. Instead the level of all harmonics decreased when the NFB was increased.

Why this difference ?
Since you already have applied local feedback before you are starting your measurements, the comparision fails.
Old 20th June 2011, 12:15 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Since you already have applied local feedback before you are starting your measurements, the comparision fails.
Meaning what ???

The GNFB was ofcourse disconnected completely when the first "0 dB" measurement was done.
Old 20th June 2011, 12:49 PM   #14
knutn is offline knutn  Norway
diyAudio Member

Don't misunderstand; I am not saying your work is pointless. I say that the reference in post #1 uses no feedback at all as a starting point, then applies more and more feedback to see the effect on the distortion spectrum. You are starting with local feedback and are then applying global feedback. so my point is: a comparison is not relevant.

If you used no local feedback at all, and then applied more and more global feedback, I would expect you would find a result more like what could be expected (?).

But, as other quite right say, the distortion spectrum is different for valves, FETs and BJTs....
Old 20th June 2011, 02:01 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You are starting with local feedback and are then applying global feedback. so my point is: a comparison is not relevant.
Quote:
If you used no local feedback at all, and then applied more and more global feedback, I would expect you would find a result more like what could be expected (?).
Completely irrelevant point !

The local feedback due to un-bypassed 100 ohms resistor at the voltage amplifying stage is 0,7 dB and due to un-bypassed cathode resistors at the output stage is 0,4 dB. Totally 1,1 dB.

At the Linsley-Hood graph the increase of harmonics continued up to - say - 10 dB NFB and after that begun to decrease.

Do you seriously think that this 1,1 dB can turn my result upside down ?
Old 20th June 2011, 02:07 PM   #16
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

He may mean the feedback to the output tube screens.

Nonetheless, your point remains correct- if the transfer function of a box of gain is not pure square law (the starting assumption for the Baxandall calculations), adding a feedback loop will not necessarily increase the magnitude of higher order harmonics.
Old 20th June 2011, 02:37 PM   #17
Yvesm is offline Yvesm  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Meaning what ???

The GNFB was ofcourse disconnected completely when the first "0 dB" measurement was done.
Perhaps knunt refers to UL configuration
<edit> Ooops, Stuart already pointed that </edit>
Old 20th June 2011, 03:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I see that the main information and value of my experiment - at least to me - is that there is no reason to avoid small GNFB levels (3...6 dB) at tube amplifiers.
This will not generate or increase high order harmonic levels as has been believed as a fact.
Old 20th June 2011, 03:56 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
He may mean the feedback to the output tube screens.
Quote:
Perhaps knunt refers to UL configuration
Well, Knutn did not say what he meant yet.

Instead, do you SY and Yvesm see that the UL-connection of output tubes makes such local NFB that my experiment gave false result compared with Lisley-Hood graph ?

If so, then the information of Linsley-Hood documents can be applied to Pentodes only since triode connection or real triodes have even more "internal" feedback than UL-connection does.

This would not seem very meaningful or logical.
Old 20th June 2011, 04:24 PM   #20
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

Quote:
Instead, do you SY and Yvesm see that the UL-connection of output tubes makes such local NFB that my experiment gave false result compared with Lisley-Hood graph ?
No, your result is not false, as I said before, it's accurate. The Baxandall calculations (WW, Dec 1978, figure 7) so beloved of feedback-phobes, only apply to pure square law devices. Tubes are not, so even if you didn't have local feedback, you still wouldn't get the results predicted by Baxandall. And that's OK, you're not trying to disprove his calculations, you are demonstrating that for real world amps, small amounts of feedback are useful and don't always increase their higher order harmonics (at least out to as far as you checked). That's a useful demonstration!

Distortion spectrum vs feedbackHide this!Advertise here!