• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

3 ways active crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, Mashaffer,

I built an op-amp based XO with 3-way outputs but was not happy with what it brought to my tube-based systems, then came the reasons for the searching...

Could you help explain a little more how I can make the 2-way version given a 3-way one?

Thanks,

In the schematic listed you will see a chart of R and C values for various crossovers. You can kind of work out ratios for other cut off frequencies from studying that chart. Using a spice simulator like LTspice can help you to confirm/tweak the values. Use the HP section at a suitable crossover for the top, use the LP section also at a suitable (different) crossover.

The middle will be a cascade of a HP and a LP at the above crossover frequencies to create a bandpass. So if the upper crossover was at 7kHz and the lower at 150Hz then your mid band would have a HP at 150Hz and a LP at 7kHz.

As an example my woofer output in this simulation is a band pass. Note I tweaked the values somewhat to get an over all slope that would compensate for open baffle losses but the topology is essentially the same.

attachment.php

Attachments

• CrossoverSectionBufferedInput.jpg
    CrossoverSectionBufferedInput.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 1,389
This will get you started.

http://greygum.net/sbench/sbench101/Crossover/xover.gif

It is two way but cascading a HP and a LP will give you the third BP filter that you need.

I am thinking of going active for my ATC SCM20SL Pro.The built-in passive cross-over is a simple 12dB/octave LC filter with the cross-over frequency at 2.8khz.
Using the aboved tube cross-over to start with,what are the components` values should I changed so that it could be used?

Here is an SMD version of the LR 24 db/oct. I layed out.
If there is demand I can try and convert it to through hole.

I add the 2 way version I made in through hole as example too.

Of coarse its not tubes, but it shows you just how complex these little buggers can get, 12 opamps per channel in the 3 way...

Attachments

• 3way.gif
    3way.gif
    55.7 KB · Views: 333
  • 2-way.gif
    2-way.gif
    135.5 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.