• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Lageschaar hybrid-connection PSE-KT66

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

After starting a kt66 PP-design in 2004 with a early ending, I give it now a good start now with nice C-core OPT.

The amplifier will be a fixed bias PSE KT66 triode without feedback , I have to investigate switch triode to UL-mode. And I will make it switchable to Williamson feedback design what will be the Lageschaar Hybrid-connection.

Last edited:
I measured today the just received custom made EDIS C-core OPT.

Measured with Hioki 3532-50 LCR bridge. I work at engineering(I do not have a engineer degree) we build switching lamp-drivers so we have nice measurement equipment.(My work Nedap Light Controls)
With 8 Ohm load precise 7,73Ohm. We see Fs at 116kHz. And Z about 3kOhm with 8 ohm load.

Schermafbeelding2011-04-18om202702.png

Schermafbeelding2011-04-18om202754.png

With shorted output.
Schermafbeelding2011-04-18om202918.png
Schermafbeelding2011-04-18om203023.png

With open output.
Schermafbeelding2011-04-18om203300.png
Schermafbeelding2011-04-18om203439.png

Last edited:
Hi guys,

After starting a kt66 PP-design in 2004 with a early ending, I give it now a good start now with nice C-core OPT.

The amplifier will be a fixed bias PSE KT66 triode without feedback , I have to investigate switch triode to UL-mode. And I will make it switchable to Williamson feedback design what will be the Lageschaar Hybrid-connection.
The copy right for the name and idea of Lageschaar hybrid-connection will be claimed by me Helmuth.Lageschaar date 19-04-2011 and is not free to copy without my permission by others for commercial use.

Measurements of the OPT connected to a variac and load to see the transformation proportion.

Transformer 1

8 ohm output
Uin=62,33V 50Hz
Uout=2,836V
n1=62,33/2,836=21,97X

4 ohm output
Uin=65,01V
Uin=2,007V
n2=32,4X

Transformer 2

8 ohm output
Uin=62,28V 50Hz
Uout=2,83V
n1=62,28/2,83=22,01X

4 ohm output
Uin=65,03V
Uin=2,006V
n2=32,4X

Load tube is n1^2X8Ohm or n2^2X4 Ohm

22^2X8=3872 to 22^2X6,5=3146
32,4^2X4=4199 to 32,4^2X2,8=2939

I ordered 2800Ohm load so the 8 oHm tab isn't placed right for optimal load.
The 4 Ohm load is near the load line I did aks for.
It depends on what philosophy EDIS uses as minimum load for the OPT to calculate the Ra-load.

Here the result of Trafo1 with the LCR meter with 7,73 Ohm load

Frequency Z(ohm) Ls(H) Q() Rs(ohm)
1001,00 3147,00 0,02 0,04 3144,60

Trafo 2

Frequency Z(ohm) Ls(H) Q() Rs(ohm)
1001,00 3137,40 0,02 0,03 3135,90

Last edited:
The Tube.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

blueglow.jpg

The review:
Everything you read in the review of the Sovtek 6L6WXT+ holds true for this tube. A larger than average curved glass envelope and metal base ring make this a different package than the familiar 6L6. Biasing and current draw are not issues, just the same as any 6L6GC. The sound of the Sovtek KT66 is great and usable for any application. If your amp has “bear trap” tube retainers they will have to go because of the size of the tube's base but also the bear trap clamp will ground the metal base to the chassis and cause a malfunction.

Guitar-cable-amplifier. If this describes the rig you use, then this is one of two modern tubes you should consider. This is not a repackaged 5881. Extremely low noise and a lack of microphonics combine with excellent ratings for detail and harmonic content to provide a tube of exceptional quality. These tubes can be used in any application. Plenty of power and great tone. We have tested these tubes with plate voltages ranging from 425 to 500 volts without problem. Biasing can be set from conservative to hot; again, no real problem and great tone will be delivered from most settings.

(nelson audio)
This is my first experience with a KT-66 based amplifier. The KT-66, at least in this amp, doesn't sound like a lower powered version of the KT-88, which, to my ears, is one of the most balanced tubes, frequency wise, that I have heard. The KT-66 is basically a guitar amp tube, very similar to the 6L6. Frank said not to think of the tube as a small KT-88, but more like a high powered 300B or 2A3. This makes perfect sense to me, as those tubes aren't known for bass slam or control, but rather for tonal beauty especially in the midrange.

Triode Charateristic.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-04-19 om 21.11.08.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2011-04-19 om 21.11.08.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,336
Last edited:
I'll follow with interest, not that I understand any of it:)
Hi David,

Let me explain.

The output-transformer OPT of the tubamp transforms the resistance of the loudspeaker to the anode of the tube.

In the triode characteristic we can draw a load line. In the middle of the load line you see the bias point/current class A.
2a3_sml_3_4_5K_web_rp0.gif

Is calculated on max voltage divided by load resistance gives max current draw the line. I came out on 2800ohm as a good load to get enough power out of the tube.

Here a nice article.
What is the best load line for a tube

It is all done to use all the power that the tube can give considering acceptable distortion level.

Regards Helmuth

Last edited:
Hi David,

Let me explain.

The output-transformer OPT of the tubamp transforms the resistance of the loudspeaker to the anode of the tube.

In the triode characteristic we can draw a load line. In the middle of the load line you see the bias point/current class A.
2a3_sml_3_4_5K_web_rp0.gif

Is calculated on max voltage divided by load resistance gives max current draw the line. I came out on 2800ohm as a good load to get enough power out of the tube.

Here a nice article.
What is the best load line for a tube

It is all done to use all the power that the tube can give considering acceptable distortion level.

Regards Helmuth

I'm a slow learner, but wont stop trying

Hi I hat some discussion about the measurements of the transformer.

I did test about 3k1 and I ordered 2k8. About 11% tolerance.

Edis did send me a 2k8 transformer when you measure it open output =no load.

I did measure with load the transformer will act different due the flux losses (leakage self induction) and copper wire resistance. This explains the differences with load and with open terminals.

I am not familiar with measurements on other SE transformers and how to rate this amount of losses compared to other brands.

Helmuth

Last edited:
Here the measurement with primary connected to 230V 50Hz.

230,7V 50hz =12,40V 8 Ohm open output => n=18,6X
230,7V 50Hz = 8,82V 4 Ohm open output => n=26,1X

230,9V 50Hz = 10,55V with 7,73 Ohm load => n=21,9X
230,9V 50Hz = 7,15V with 3,86 Ohm load => n=32,3X

See the difference with and without load due described losses.

Last edited:
There are a lot of hybrid designs made in the 80's and newer. Those are based on a tube pre stage.

I believe the special quality of a tube compared to a transistor is its excellent HF extension. And that is specially the case for comparing power transistors to a tube.
The small signal transistors are fine so the hybrid shout be the other way
around.
Solid-state pre and tube end stage. This is not very desirable because you need the expensive OPT.
Also the power-supply design of a tube amp with coil is very good I simulated a ripple suppression of >110dB. Again we need a expensive coil. But there is the great tubeamp sound hidden IMO.
Thats why I came to build it this way I also want to compare with and without feedback and UL tab.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.