• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Connect ipod/laptop to old 1950's radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have recently acquired an old 50s radio / record player in perfect working order. Its a GEC BC 9442, if that means anything to anyone. However it doesn't play FM radio so only gets rubbish stations, and I don't own any records to play on the turntable, so I was wondering if if is possible to create a connection for my ipod/laptop etc.

Now I know absolutely nothing about electronics really, so this is probably extremely foolhardy, but I like a challenge and don't have the cash to get it done professionally. I have worked out it's a valve amp but beyond that I really know nothing. Apparently these old electronic things can be pretty dangerous?

Anyway if anyone can give me any advice it would be much appreciated, and do feel free to tell me I'm being a complete idiot and should just leave it alone.

Many thanks.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Hi,

It can be made to work as an amp but, obviously, if you don't know anything about electronics, not by you.

Getting the schematic would be a first and then maybe read some simple books about tube amps and electronics. And yes, it can be dangerous - tube circuits usually have high voltages.

Radiomuseum.org has a schematic for that unit although you must be a member to download it. Just guessing I would say that the phonograph uses a ceramic cartridge, don't know for sure. If that is the case, there is no RIAA equalization circuit and possibly you could connect your ipod/laptop directly to the same point in the circuit that the phono input connects with very little modification.

As the previous poster mentioned, if you don't know anything about electronics, then this is not something you should try yourself.

Good news is that the chassis is AC only and employs a mains transformer so the 'live' chassis problem associated with many radios of this vintage is not a problem. Hopefully the record deck plugs into rear chassis sockets marked P.U. (pick up) and all you need to do is plug in your ipod instead and switch the radio controls to Gram. If the input from the ipod is too great and therefore too loud and distorted then you may need to apply a simple attenuator but let's see how you get on first. If you get a lot of interference when handling the ipod then you may have to reverse the connection on the PU sockets.
BTW if the record player has not been used for a considerable time then you will certainly have to replace some components, especially the wax covered capacitors.
It is standard practice for equipment of this vintage especially the coupling capacitor C52 in the audio circuit and also C42 and C50. Excessive hum can also be caused by poor high voltage smoothing capacitors C56 and C57.
The circuit I have is very poor and may not provide a good copy but you should be able to purchase one at very low cost at
Vintage Radio Service Data
Les

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.