• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Unexpectedly good EL84 amp

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I have been using a professional EL84 line preamp with an output transformer as a tiny power amp on my VOT system.
I agree it is a nice tube and i stocked up on them when they were cheap.
It appears that hum still pops up in several builds. Even if you dont hear hum the iron can still interact in a negative way. Maybe modern transformers are made in a cheaper way to be more competitive.
A bit a sideline question. A choke input in general will give your power supply an easier life. The power transformer will have a much easier task and probably disturb nearby parts in a lesser degree but will the choke input now turn into the part that needs more attention during layout?
Greetings Eduard

A choke input filter, LCRC, will have much more magnetic field coming from the choke, but at least it is smooth current with few upper harmonics,
versus . . . the cap input filter, CLC, with the magnetic field being less than with a choke input filter.

But the First Filter Capacitor of a CLC filter will have the following:
Much larger peak current, and very transient in nature.
The fast rise time current (causing lots of upper harmonics), will make any B+ caused ground loop sound worse, if it interferes and gets into the rest of the amplifier circuits.

No one way is best, but each requires attention to the details to make it work best.

A circuit that is already working well, probably does not need modification.

Single ended air gapped transformers tend to pick up hum more easily, versus push pull transformers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Like 6A3sUMMER wrote it is important how things are wired/ executed. Things could look identical and still turn out different.
Twist ac wires from secondary high voltage terminals to the rectifier. What if terminals are like a few inches apart? Try to locate tube socket in between the terminals?
Where would the benefits of limiting wire length the biggest, before or after the rectifier?
There are no endless possibilities but still
Greetings Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Like 6A3sUMMER wrote it is important how things are wired/ executed. Things could look identical and still turn out different.
Twist ac wires from secondary high voltage terminals to the rectifier. What if terminals are like a few inches apart? Try to locate tube socket in between the terminals?
Where would the benefits of limiting wire length the biggest, before or after the rectifier?
There are no endless possibilities but still
Greetings Eduard

Would a CLC section with a low value 1st cap reduce the high frequency hash?

P.S. I have a filter choke from a Hammond L100 that was used in the return (grounded) leg of the supply. Is there any way to tell if it is safe to use on the + side?
I don't think a lower value 1st cap would achieve what you think it might. There are many ways for 'high frequency hash' to get in to your audio signal. Is that a problem you have?

What choke do you have from the L100 ? I can see controlled/ganged chokes in the vibrato, and a 14H choke in the reverb driver output stage, and a pedal click filter inductor :scratch1:

I can't edit the first post, but the link is still live (scroll down a bit):

https://tubecad.com/2010/03/blog0183.htm

My build varies just a bit: I have a red LED for the cathode resistor of the input valve, and a LM317 CCS (15r/80mA) instead of the 400R/1000uF cap in the EL84 cathodes. For what its worth, several people have mentioned that 400R is the wrong value, it should be 200R. Outside of that, my HV supply is from a Maida reg and I'm using DC heaters.

Attachments

• pp amps examples for ps-4 el84.png
    pp amps examples for ps-4 el84.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: 1 user
I don't think a lower value 1st cap would achieve what you think it might. There are many ways for 'high frequency hash' to get in to your audio signal. Is that a problem you have?

What choke do you have from the L100 ? I can see controlled/ganged chokes in the vibrato, and a 14H choke in the reverb driver output stage, and a pedal click filter inductor :scratch1:
Just curious about the small cap. I know that it has been used to reduce voltage when using a too high value transformer and PSU Designer II indicated some reduction in peak current values and I wondered if that would affect the hash.

As to the choke I think I was remembering wrong. I think it is the 14H choke. Perhaps it is because I was considering using it in a B+ return not knowing the max voltage.

I used FQPF6N90C

Thank You very much.

I have bought by mistake Ixys IXTP08N100-P ehancment mode mosfet instead of IXTP08N100-D2 which is depletion mosfet.

On further inspection of the datasheet it looked like an excellent mosfet for Maida regulators and for driving 2A3 / 300B output stages ( low Ciss / Crss comparing to old 2SK1460 which was used as driver for 2A3 PP in one project ).

Of Course it is easier for me to use Your choice first and see if i can use Ixys part without any radical changes later - i'm not really into ss stuff, just understand how tubes work ( it's ongoing process ). HV regulators are currently my weak point.

Reactions: 1 user